AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just now in the market for a flat panel TV and I have a few questions I hope you experts can answer.

I'm pretty sure I want a 50" as I have 10-11 feet between the wall and the couch. I could be talked in to a 42" plasma or 45" LCD, but I'm really leaning toward a 50" plasma.

I don't think I want to pay the extra $ for an internal tuner and a cable card slot. I don't want to give up my DVR and I don't mind using my Time Warner HD box. I understand in 5 years I may want the flexibility of a cablecard slot, but I'm really ok using the STB for now. I definitely don't need the speakers as I am planning to buy the Bouse Acoustimass 6-piece speaker system. Am I making a horrible choice getting the industrial vs. the consumer?

So, if I just need a monitor, is there any reason not to get the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY? Are there better displays out there? Should I wait for the 8uk? I am willing to wait until Aug 28 or shortly thereafter to see if the industrial models drop in price as the consumer models are rumored to.

Is there any good reason to pay the extra $ for the 50" Fujitsu monitor or the Pioneer 50" TV? Am I missing any other models I should consider?

If I do get the Panny, I was planning to run both the HD cable and my DVD player through a receiver and run Component/RGB from the receiver to the monitor. Is that a waste? Should I go for the optional input cards and run the two video feeds directly to the monitor and the audio to the receiver?

Please help.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do not have much experience in this area, but if you have a Costco near you I would suggest you look at this thread --> Official Vizio P50HD 50" Plasma Disscusion & Experiences!!! (I cannot post URLs yet). Start at around the 30th page to get some comments from actual owners. The Vizio 50" is getting very good reviews. The main negative you will find is an issue with fan noise that can apparently be resolved. I have one without the fan noise issue.

If you can get your hands on a coupon the cost is reduced by $400. Check the thread out for current pricing. And the coupon expires on the 28th.

Is the quality on par with the sets you mentioned? I have no idea, but would venture to guess that it probably does not. I can tell you the quality of the set is very good and in terms of bang for your buck, I do not think you can go wrong.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroi
Is there any good reason to pay the extra $ for the 50" Fujitsu monitor?
For me, after comparing sets, it was a no brainer that it was well worth paying more for the 50" Fujitsu to get the superior picture quality. For other, it isn't, or they are satisfied with the PQ of their chosen set.

Look at and compare the displays you're interested in. Only you can decide what is best for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am extremely happy with my Panny TH-50PHD7UY!

·
Registered
130 Posts
the 8uk is alrdy out

·
Registered
287 Posts
The 50" 8UK?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would say that definately it is worth the extra $$ for the Fujitsu. Although it is going to be a significant difference. The Fuj lists at $7500 and you won't get much off that from an authorized dealer.And ANY Fujitsu bought over the internet is unauthorized. From the Fujitsu web site:

"Purchases made over the Internet or from an unauthorized dealer Will Not Be Covered By Fujitsu General's Warranty"

I would also say that you are wasting your money if you purchase anyhting from Bose. You can do MUCH better for the $$ from almost any other quality manufacturer. $5 plastic enclosures and $2 paper driver do not a good speaker make.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fletch999,

thanks for the input on the speakers. I am not an audiophile by any means, so I appreciate the tip. However, for reasons I won't go into, I need the smallest speakers possible. Bose has 3.1" cubes. Do you know of other similarly sized speakers that would be a better purchase?

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why not give a look at a 55" Hitachi. Hitachi owns Fujitsu and the panel in the Hitachi is the same. I have the Hitachi and have not seen anything else that looks as good, to me. I spent a lot of time comparing the F & H side by side, several other brands also. After 6 months I am still convinced and would do the same again today. The Hitachi is also feature rich and the interface is excellent. Also have a 42" HD Panasonic and it is good but not up to the Hitachi standard in PQ or ease of use.

Are you really going to buy that BOSE? Why not go to a decent audio store and listen to some others. Of course you probably will not find Bose there, or if you do it will be in a different location so you cannot easily compare it to any other systems, (Bose will not allow it).

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cardio,

Thanks for the suggesstion. I can't go above 50". It literally would not fit on the wall. Does Hitachi make a 50" that you recommend.

I need speakers no more than 3.5" tall (long story). Do you have any recommendations for a speakers in that size category? I'm no audiophile, so just a decent set of speakers will be ok, for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardio
Why not give a look at a 55" Hitachi. Hitachi owns Fujitsu
Untrue.

Kal

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroi
I need speakers no more than 3.5" tall (long story). Do you have any recommendations for a speakers in that size category? I'm no audiophile, so just a decent set of speakers will be ok, for me.
The laws of physics are against you with that constraint.

Kal

·
Registered
208 Posts
Go with the Fujitsu - I have a new 55" one and the 50 incher has even better PQ (and mine is outstanding). In fact, unless you're going to spend really big bucks on a Runco or Dwin PDP most people on here will agree it's the best one available now.

Check out orbaudio.com also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speakers:

If speaker visibility is the issue, in-wall speaker quality has greatly improved. Even mounting in the ceiling is an option. Paint the grill to match and wife is happy.

Anything but overpriced BOSE...........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Untrue.

Kal
Nope, it is true. Hitachi bought Fujitsu several months ago. It is now named Hitachi-Fujitsu Plasma. Do a search. The Hitachi 55" panels were always F's even before the buy out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE: speakers.... I've also been looking for a cheap surround sound speaker setup that is small and sounds decent. I found positive mentions of the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 setup with the SF-1 or SF-2 subwoofer in these forums. $500/600 when ordered together and the satellites are small.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.