AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my Sony 7700 DVD player and I need to know the sound of current DVD players in playing movies. I have read many reviews in this and other forums on DVD players and in most cases the audio review was concentrated on DVD-A and SACD performance. Since the sound of DVD-Video was rarely mentioned, does that means they are pretty much the same when it comes down to playing movies? I will be using my DVD player strictly for movies and it will be connected to a Integra RDC-7 processor. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
50 Posts
There should be no difference. The DVD player takes the digital audio bitstream from the DVD and sends it, unprocessed, out the coax or optical cable. All of the processing is in your preamp/amplifier.

For DVD-A and SACD, the data rates are too high for the coax/optical digital cable, so the player has to use its own decoders and DACs. In those cases, the player's electronics can matter a lot.

But for DVD, as long as your preamp can take the bitstream input and decode it, the player shouldn't matter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.