AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister who lives in Cheshire,CT off of Cheshire Street near Route 10 recently bought an HD setup that includes the new Samsung STB (Directv and OTA). An antenna installer told her she needed a 10 foot antenna with a pre-amp (and rotor which I know she does need to get both the Hartford and New Haven channels) and quoted her over $600 installed. This seems extreme to me since the DTV stations are all within 20 miles of her house (according to antennaweb.org). Can anyone give us a recommendation on what should work for her. Thanks. Joh

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jpnrc,

You might have better luck getting some feedback if you post your question in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=315169

I don't have an OTA antenna yet, but based on my reading of various threads here and over in the HD hardware forum, that set up seems extreme, both is size and cost. Hardware should be between $100-$200 retail, so $600 for hardware and install seems high. You will likely need the rotator and pre-amp for distant/weak signals. I would think you could get away with a small antenna though.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
$600.00 is about right for a Fringe type all-channel antenna installed with a rotor and preamplifier. In Cheshire, there is an outside chance that she may even see some NYC DTV channels. Expect the equipment to run about $350.00 and about $250.00 for labor...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.