AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently updated my whole HT with new TV,BD player and recevier. I am using Paradigm Studio 20's (v3) for the left, center and right channel. I am using my old Onkyo HT-500 sub and rears. I want to update the rears. Is there something I should know when looking for a matching pair? Would these Paradigm Micros (below) work? Also, what would you set the crossover to the sub at?

SPECIFICATIONS Paradigm Micro:

Design 2-driver, 2-way bookshelf / stand-mounted

Crossover 3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2.4 kHz

High-Frequency Driver 25-mm (1 in) PTD dome

Bass / Midrange Driver 140-mm (5-1/2 in) ICP cone,

25-mm (1 in) voice-coil

Low-Frequency Extension* 55 Hz (DIN)

Frequency Response:

On-Axis

30° Off-Axis

±2 dB from 89 Hz - 20 kHz

±2 dB from 89 Hz - 15 kHz

Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB

Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 80 watts

Maximum Input Power 50 watts

Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think you should replace the sub first. That's where you will see the most improvement since the subs that come with those HTIB's are generally pretty bad. I do think you could use the micros as surrounds... it's not as important to match the surrounds perfectly as it is the fronts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 /forum/post/19518890

I think you should replace the sub first. That's where you will see the most improvement since the subs that come with those HTIB's are generally pretty bad. I do think you could use the micros as surrounds... it's not as important to match the surrounds perfectly as it is the fronts.

Being a dad with three young kids and a wife. I rarely get to use the sub when it's my time to watch movies later at night. When I do use it, it actually sounds pretty good and is enough to knock pictures off the wall. I believe it's a 10" down firing. So that being said, what would be a good choice for rears?

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
The Micro will be OK - you have to expierment with crossovers, based

on your room reactions. You can also go to htd.com and look at their

surround speakers. You can cheat on surrounds.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It is less important to match the surrounds to the front. Are you running 7.1 or 5.1, there are no "rears" in 5.1, just sides. I think the micros would work even though I don't like the -2db at 89hz. How close are the sides from seating position? Mine are pretty close and it made a world of difference going to bipole surrounds.

They are just trying to help on the subwoofer and it is an obvious upgrade. A good sub will sound much better and produce a greater frequency response and sound more dynamic. You don't have to turn it up loud for family, a quality one will be a huge upgrade at lower listening levels for sound quality. Basically it seems you don't know what you are missing in saying Onkyo sounds good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19519387

It is less important to match the surrounds to the front. Are you running 7.1 or 5.1, there are no "rears" in 5.1, just sides. I think the micros would work even though I don't like the -2db at 89hz. How close are the sides from seating position? Mine are pretty close and it made a world of difference going to bipole surrounds.

They are just trying to help on the subwoofer and it is an obvious upgrade. A good sub will sound much better and produce a greater frequency response and sound more dynamic. You don't have to turn it up loud for family, a quality one will be a huge upgrade at lower listening levels for sound quality. Basically it seems you don't know what you are missing in saying Onkyo sounds good.

You are right. The Onkyo sub is the only one I have ever had. I am running a 5.1 set-up. Are you messing with me? 5.1 is "front left" "center" "Right front" "sub" "left rear" and "right rear". 7.1 is the addition of the "left side" and "right side". I am going to run the Audissey tomorrow to ballance the speakers but this will not do the sub since it's only Audissey 2EQ. Is a 80Hz crossover good for the sub?

I will look into a better sub after I replace the two rears with something better. Any suggestions on a better rear speaker than the Micros?

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
What is the budget for your surround speakers - not a whole lot of information

goes to the surround channels. Some one on the other side of the fence where

you posted, suggested another pair of studio 20's. You may want to look at

the Studio 10's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19519983

What is the budget for your surround speakers - not a whole lot of information

goes to the surround channels. Some one on the other side of the fence where

you posted, suggested another pair of studio 20's. You may want to look at

the Studio 10's.

I don't have the $$ for Studio 20's unless they are the older v1's. I'll look into a used pair Studio 10's. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts