AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiny (about 375 sf) first floor beach condo is where I need to sound proof my ceilings which are barely 8' high! Obviously it is noisy in the months when I want to be there.

I am researching the correct methods for myself and my contractor since neither one of us has ever done this!

I do not intend to install any recessed lights and will wrap my HVAC ductwork/electrical boxes with whatever sound proofing material that is recommended.

I have read that it is important to slightly suspend the new drywall ceiling (about 1/2") with "Quiet Clips" onto which hat channels snap in place --so noise vibrating from the joists is not heard in my rooms below. I will attach 5/8" drywall onto these hat channels.

Now I want to shield my condo from airborne sounds. I have read about mass-loaded vinyl and different types of sound absorbing/blocking insulation that is placed between the joists.

Since this is not a home theater situation nor a music studio, but only a condo where you can hear neighbors from above walking and some talking/music sounds, what are my best options that are sure-proof and economical.

Specific Decisions to Make:

1. Is dropping the new ceiling about 1/2" using A96R "Quiet Cips" and then snapping 10 x 7/8" (25 guage) hat channels into the clips the right thing to do? (I will follow the proper spacing requirements for clips and channels.) See attachment below.

resilmount-a96r-installation-diagram.pdf 195k .pdf file

2. Is it sufficient to mount just ONE piece of regular 5/8" drywall to the hat channels?

3. Next I was told to attach "Acoustiblok" vinyl sheets below each of the hat channels and the other open joists where there are no clips/channels installed to absorb/block "footfall" sounds from above. See attachment below.

install_acoustiblok directs.pdf 412k .pdf file

4. Now I want to absorb/block airborne sounds coming the floor above with a sound abating material like, Quiet Fiber, Quiet Batt, Roxul, R-19 Thermal insulation OR WHATEVER YOU EXPERTS RECOMMEND! See attachment below.

Acousticblok install pic.jpg 15k .jpg file

5. I will wrap sealant pads around electrical junction boxes and use acoustical sealant around the openings in the perimeter of each ceiling.

NOW, PLEASE SPECIFY WHAT IS INCORRECT OR UNNECESSARY ABOUT MY ABOVE PLAN---ESPECIALLY WITH THE BRAND MERCHANDISE THAT I MIGHT USE. .

I hope to order whatever materials you recommend in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your expert opinions!

Frank B.

[email protected]

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Read the Soundproofing 101 articles at www.soundproofingcompany.com and call them, or look for Ted here on the forum for advice about your specific situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.