AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need (WAF) some thin, black floorstanding speakers similar to the Yamaha NS-125F (4" wide). Here is the link for those:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/s...erform_125.htm

If these are recommended, I'll go with them. After I locate the mains, I'll get the centers and surrounds to match.

My current setup is Polk Audio RT400 Floorstanders (9" wide), Polk CS245 Center, Polk R10 Surrounds, JBL E250p 12" Sub and a Pioneer VSX-1014 Receiver.

I recently purchased the sub, so bigger mains aren't as important. Unfortunately, the Yamaha's above are the only "thin, black" speakers I can locate. Everything is silver. Anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend less than $500 on the set of mains.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Look on www.audiogon.com for some older NHT VT-1 series speakers. I'm sure they'd be a big step up from Yamahas, even the older models. Assuming 5.5" wide is narrow enough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Totem Arro comes in black ash, is 5" wide according to their website. Highly regarded.

Maybe if you give us a dimension for the maximum width, then we can give more precise recommendations.

Ben

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think he meant "thin" in terms of width (he gave width as example). Although I can see why Magnepan is regarded as THIN :)

Ben

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah, after re-reading, I guess you are right. They are certainly thin (in terms of depth), but not width.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, I am more concerned with width (looking directly at the speaker). I'll look at the above recommendations and then report back if I have more questions.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Athena's WS-100

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBark
I need (WAF) some thin, black floorstanding speakers similar to the Yamaha NS-125F (4" wide).
I was in a similar situation in that my Oak finished Klipsch KG4's were too 'old school' and boxy for our modern living room. I upgraded to some new black Klipsch Reference floorstanders (RF15's). If you like the Klipsch sound, take a listen. They're a bit more than 4" wide, and much deeper, but are probably much more open and dynamic than any 4" wide speaker. Here's the size:

DIMENSIONS:

36.9" (93.7cm) x 6.75" (17.2cm) x 12.75" (32.4cm)

http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...id=630&s=specs

MSRP: $300 each

By themselves they don't have deep bass, but with a 3dB point of 46Hz, they sound great crossed over at 80Hz with a good sub.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Take a look at the Definitive Tech Mythos Towers.

Mythos One = 6"x6"x48-1/2"

Mythos Four = 5-1/4"x5-1/8"x42-7/8"

Mythos Five = 4-1/16"x4-1/16"x40-1/8"

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...hos_tower.html

The web pics show the polished aluminum, but also available in polished black according to the specs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Take a look at the Definitive Tech Mythos Towers.
These are nice looking, but way over his stated budget!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wleehendrick
These are nice looking, but way over his stated budget!

Oops... missed that part!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Agree with NHT on Audiogon. If you can go up a couple of hundred, you'll do a lot better, but you can find some within your budget. I'd take them over anything else mentioned, except maybe the Totem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been looking at the Mythos line for my new system. How do the speakers mentioned above compare to the mythos? Is there a good review of thin speakers (I too am looking for 4 - 6" wide)? For me, the purpose is 80% watching TV and 20% music.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you could jump up a little, some Ascend 340's w/ stands would look like floorstanders, real close sixe wise (7.5") and run ya $650/pr.

*edit* whoops, just noticed the age of the OP.

:eek:

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a few clients who really like the Pinacle BD1000 "Black Diamond" series I got for them.

They are 6 1/2" wide, sound great and striking to look at.

Pinacle BD1000

·
Registered
341 Posts
NHT VT1.2's would do as well as would the 1.4's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.