AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went through a divorce and lost my b&k receiver in the split, so I"m looking for a new receiver. The problem is, I'm a medical student without much to spend, so my budget is $550 and under.

I found a B&k 307 in my range, but the lack of hdmi sort of turns me off. Although I don't need the upconvert or the switching (as I have a harmony one), I guess I'm thinking HDMI capable receiver for bluray option down the line.

So, I've been looking at the denon 988 and 2807. I would like for this to be good for movies/tv as well as audio, as I have a macmini in the line for music playback (also using the macmini as dvd player right now).

Are there other receivers to look at in this range? Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha?? I saw a new HK 254 under this range at a very good price, but after reading reviews, seems like a number of issues out there so a little worried about that. Plus never had any experience with HK

Does the hdmi capability really matter if I have upconversion and switching already?

I would rather get something used and better quality than less quality and new...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Marantz has the better amp section; the Denon has better features. Both are fine receivers. Or you could go with a refurbished 254 from HK's eBay site and save yourself some coin.

·
The Village Idiot
9,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/16852101

The Marantz has the better amp section; the Denon has better features. Both are fine receivers. Or you could go with a refurbished 254 from HK's eBay site and save yourself some coin.

+1

Go
here and look for the Buy It Now at the bottom of the page. Offer them $220. Shipping is free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.