AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for ages at agetting a new receiver and after much deliberation have come down to HK or Marantz. I originally was going to get the Yamaha 2500 when it releases but after much talk on this board and listening to many HK's and a few Marantz receivers I found the music quality to be alot nicer on my chosen two. I will say that the HT on the Yamahas kicks ass in my opinion. I have not had a chance to hear the HK or the Marantz pushing some HT through and was wondering what you all think about those two (HK and Marantz) in regards to HT. I wasn't looking at anything as much as the HK 7200 but I may buy one only a few months old for around $700. I think the $ is a little high for a used receiver but that is always negotiable. Can you guys give me some input as to HK and Marantz pros and cons. Is the HK 7200 as fantastic as it seems? As much info would really be appreciated. I dont want to spend more than $800 to $900 max. I am sure some of you guys that have been on these boards for ever are sick to death of the same old questions and i'm sorry but I really need some help. I dont make tons of cash and really want to make a good decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
While both are popular on this site and both have a similar quality of sound, I am inclined to go with Marantz for two reasons; first I like the feel of construction (I HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE) the other is reliability......oh, I should mention that I do have more experiance with the Marantz brand , so my observations are not perfectly balanced...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think the quality is stronger on the Marantz brand? Have you heard any bad stories about cust support for either brand and if I were able to get the HK 7200 for $700, for the same amount of money could I get a Marantz that would be comparable to the HK 7200?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Although I like Marantz alot, I went with the HK7200 about 6 months ago. This thing is a beast. It pumps out a lot of clean power. The amp section is excellent. For Home Theater it replaced a Sony db830 and there is no comparison. Louder, cleaner, smoother,more detailed, better in every way. This is a heckuva lot of receiver for $700. The only reservation I had about getting a Hk was there quality control problems of a few years ago. I follow these boards and I cannot remember hearing one issue about the 7200, other than the audio dropouts( which don't bother me at all). I am very happy with the build quality and so far no issues at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you say audio dropouts do you mean that it cuts out when you change from one preset to another? If so, for how long are the dropouts?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a Marantz SR7400 and I love it, honestly, it is the only model I have ever heard any reliability issues with, however, Marantz recognized the problem and addressed them quickly, making only essentially the first batch/run of the product effected.

H/K however, there have been repeated complaints of audio dropouts, which is supposedly linked to the DSP chip, however, my issue, is that there is a huge thread here referring to the problem, with H/K reps saying that it was going to be fixed via firmware update (this was originally scheduled for last spring), and to my knowledge, nothing has been done.

Before I bought my Marantz (I got it off Audiogon), I talked with Marantz, I had no problem getting through to them, and I was trying to find out if there would be an issue 'transferring' the warranty', and they politely told me that they essentially only checked the receipt, so as long as I had that I'd be fine. Overall, I could not be happier.

·
Registered
621 Posts
IMO the H/K AVR7200 is so very good, it beats the smaller Marantz's and H/K's by a large margin. You have to go to SR8400/SR8500 to get better sound from Marantz.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are some of the lowest prices you have seen for the SR8400/8500? Also I have looked around and tried to find the lowest price for the HK 7200. What is the lowest price you all have seen it go for? (new) IN your opionions, is the audio dropouts the only real in your face problem that there is with the 7200 and do you think its livable especially if I get the pre owned one for around $700?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.