AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out which digital media server I want to get and have been having a hard time narrowing down which one to ultimately purchase. Each time I get set on a specific digital media player/server, I see negative reviews or it doesn't stream files well. OK, here are some of my findings (please feel free to add to the list)

Requirements: Stream video/audio files. I'll probably be hooking a wireless bridge up to it if it doesn't already have wireless G w/ WPA. I currently stream media from my desktop to my XBMC in the living room, but I'm looking to get something that I can stream to the bedroom (and don't want to mod another xbox). I may end up putting Windows Media Center on another PC I have and using that to distribute files, but I'd prefer just to do everything off of the current desktop. I probably won't be using HD initially (the bedroom TV is not HD), but if the Xbox goes kaput, I'll probably end up moving whatever I buy to the living room, and purchasing another player for the bedroom.

Choices:
D-Link DSM-520 - Seems like a good choice, but I read that the server that distributes the files is a little lacking (and would probably require the purchase of TwonkyVision also)
ViewSonic WMA-100 - Has wireless G WPA built in but also seems to have quite a few problems (after reading the Tom's Networking review...but that could be due to the age of the article. I would hope Viewsonic would have fixed many of the issue Tom's Networking described http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Review...dID-WMA100.php )

After just looking at the media players, I came across all kinds of reviews for Networked DVD players, so now I'm also checking out
Momitsu 880N which sounds awesome and wouldn't require too much to configure, and the LAN port would allow me to hook it up to the bridge pretty easily.
Zensonic 500 - sounded good initially but the reviews at their forum seem to mention quite a few bugs in it that have yet to be fixed.
Snazio HD DVD player - I only saw this one yesterday (from the sticky link) so haven't read up much on this one. Wasn't sure if this is a good buy or not.
TViX M-5000U - This one sounds really nice (not a DVD player, but that's not really a deal breaker). DVI out, internal HD (if I decide to add one) and pretty simple set up for networking it. Doesn't seem like I'd have to install any UPnP media server on my computer either which is pretty nice also.

So, those are my choices (so far :)). Anyone have any suggestions good or bad for any of them?

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.