AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new TV for viewing in my living room. I have never liked rear projection cause they always just appear sloppy, cant see from all angles, never a really sharp picture etc etc. However I am now wanting one cause my damn wega is way too much weight to carry around everywhere...and I need something HDTV compatible.

I want to spend anywhere from 2-3k ( I will kick out a little more for a dlp obviously or something I know I will have for a while). I was looking at the JVC, however I would like to hook my HTPC to this and I don't think the dvi accepts computer signal and I don't know what res if any supports. Then I seen the new Panasonic LCD PERFECT, great size for a bedroom, great picture, decent price, computer input, 720p support.....however the blacks were freaking horrendous and no matter what I did they didn't get any better, very upsetting as I had my heart set on this thing. I am also worried about burn in.

I have two options, I was thinking maybe I could just grab the JVC for now until the new dlps hit the market, drop in price, sell the JVC then buy the new dlp.

Or maybe just wait all together for dlp....however it depends on how long it will take for them to show up and drop to the 4k range......

please help me out =( I hate being in these situations =).

-Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two things: One, If you wait until dlp price drops, you'll still end up with an entry model which will not be better than a rear projo. (don't forget the price of a screen) Second, all of the panasonics at Best Buy seem to be washed out. I've seen several hd panasonics in homes and they looked fine. When a hd signal is being split like that, I guess every tv isn't going to look perfect. I suggest you (or someone else) purchase the 40" lcd and try it out. BB has a no hassle return policy, so you could switch it for the JVC if you're not happy. If the panasonic is what you want, try it at home. Don't eliminate it because of a showroom picture. If you do purchase it, be sure to let all of us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, if you can hunt down a pioneer 53" projo, not only is it the best tv on the market, it has a rgb input. If you're lucky, you could get it for $2999

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mane3215
I need to get a new TV for viewing in my loving room.

-Chris
Loving room? Is that some sort of Austin Powers, pimpadelic sort of thing?:p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Forget about DLP, especially in rear projection. CRT technology is still the leader in image quality and way more affordable.

Save some money for the calibration. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One nice thing that seems to be overlooked in the CRT v DLP debate is burn in. Whether we like it or not, we are 16:9 people in a 4:3 world. This will be the case for some time to come.

I for one am excited to have a technology (dlp) that doesn't punish me for being an early odopter. DLP allows me to watch 4:3 in OAR without the fear of burn-in.

-Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
I for one am excited to have a technology (dlp) that doesn't punish me for being an early odopter. DLP allows me to watch 4:3 in OAR without the fear of burn-in.
If spending $10,000-15,000 for an inferior picture and a fixed resolution display device isn't punishing consumers for being early adopters, then what is?

There are advantages and disadvantages to each display technology, but CRT still delivers the best bang for your buck regarding image quality.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 4cinema

If spending $10,000-15,000 for an inferior picture and a fixed resolution display device isn't punishing consumers for being early adopters, then what is?

There are advantages and disadvantages to each display technology, but CRT still delivers the best bang for your buck regarding image quality.
I think that you might be jumping the gun a little bit.

a) Samsung 50" is expected to be $4500 MSRP.

b) DLP doesn't tend to need to light controlled room that CRT does.

c) For those of us HTPCers, it is nice to not worry about a perma-windows desktop

d) Viewing angles are much better on a DLP unit.

Maybe you didn't like what you saw at the TI booth at CES. I was impressed enough to give it a shot.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm waiting for a DLP RPTV, partly because of no burn-in and partly because such units will be light enough and small enough (even the 50-inchers) to fit down my narrow, twisting staircase to the basement A/V room.

I'd definitely consider a CRT RPTV if there was a $2000..2500 two-piece 50..61" 16x9 unit of fairly high quality. We often watch in near-total darkness, so max contrast ratio is not that much of an issue. Is there such an animal?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tivolicious,

Your comments about the Samsung pricing are noted but here is my response:

Quote:
b) DLP doesn't tend to need to light controlled room that CRT does.
Every display device benefits from controlled lighting. DLP is no different. Just because DLP delivers more peak light output makes no difference. It is the dark areas of an image that require light control. Picture dynamics is always sacrificed without a proper lighting environment.

Quote:
d) Viewing angles are much better on a DLP unit.
Viewing angles, on or off axis, are a direct result of the screen's characteristics, like gain etc. Just because manufacturers could use a lower gain screen doesn't mean they will.

I would venture to say with confidence that a side-by-side comparison, both properly calibrated, would easily show that CRT's have a better image quality for now. Even if the Samsung sells for $4500, a CRT system half that price will deliver a better image.

It is certain that in the future, DLP will be a prominent technology. It has garnered widespread industry support in both the professional and consumer industries. As they overcome problems such as color break-up, black levels, and pixel uniformity/transitions among others, DLP has a great opportunity to replace CRT systems, but as Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend!"

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>Every display device benefits from controlled lighting. DLP is no different. Just

>>because DLP delivers more peak light output makes no difference.

I've had a DLP RPTV for a year and a half, and have compared it to CRT based RPTVs. The DLP has substantially better PQ in bright lighting. That doesn't mean that it is perfect in all light levels, but the original comment was a comparative one, and it does do better than CRT based RPTVs in bright lighting.

>>Viewing angles, on or off axis, are a direct result of the screen's characteristics, like gain etc.

My DLP RPTV has a significantly wider viewing angle than any CRT RPTV I've seen.

>>As they overcome problems such as color break-up, black levels, and pixel uniformity/ transitions

>>among others, DLP has a great opportunity to replace CRT systems,

The only legitimate issue in this list is black level.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
There is no doubt that with:

a) The right room

b) The right angle

c) The right content (16:9 as to not cause burn in)

CRT is a better choice. My only point was that the next gen of DLP offers a solution for many of the annoyances of a CRT.

BTW. You never answered my other question. What did you think of the picture the DLPs produced at CES?

-Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Steve,

I did not go to CES this past January. I look forward to seeing some of the new DLP products coming out later this year. As stated earlier, DLP has a bright future, no pun intended.

I usually go to only one major trade show event each year, primarily CEDIA. As a small business owner, I have to pick and choose carefully where and when I spend my training budget. CES is becoming decidedly more and more a computer-based or influenced trade show.

Will you be attending CEDIA's main show in Minneapolis this year?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.