AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys help me out on my 1st home theater system and now my brother in law wants one. He has a big living room and wants something decent. He also wants to have a few speakers outside for music. Are wireless speakers good for music? He wants like tower speakers or something like it for the living room. He doesn't want to spend thousands on it. What receiver/speaker/sub should I get? He also wants a sub outside for music, will he able to do that?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Whats his top budget. You could spend anywhere from 20k+ to $500 on a decent system. If you give us the max budget its easier to work with.

Wireless speakers are HORRIBLE in a large open room like he has.

Also I don't know of any outdoor subwoofers. But a good set of outdoor speakers and you will not need a sub

--------------------------------------------------------------

He might be interested in the Onkyo ht-s7200

Here is the cheapest set-up I can recommend that fits his wants with just components

- Jamo S 406 HCS 1 5.0 Speaker set

-Bic H-100 Subwoofer

-Onkyo tx-sr507

I can't do more without a definite budget, I would recommend a polf set-up but they are considered too bright for music by some

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$400-500. He want's a 5.1 for living room(tv/movies). 2 speakers for outside(music). Like you said for outside speakers"But a good set of outdoor speakers and you will not need a sub" that would be better. He wants to wire all the speakers to the receiver(indoor/outside). He also want a receiver that you could connect an ipod. Does the Onkyo ht-s7200 have it?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Yes the Onkyo ht-s7200 has an ipod connectivity

To get a system he wants with floor standers in a 5.1 set-up, reciever, and outdoor speakers $500 is not enough

Most recievers now all allow for ipod connectivity now but the ipod dock is usually extra.

He might have to double it to get what he wants.

Whats the size of his main viewing room?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He doesn't have a bluray so, any receivers that doesn't have dtshd/truehd decoding for cheaper price(with zone 2)?

room is around 25x15x10H rectangular(not exact)

The living room speakers don't have to be towers if it goes over his budget. He wants some decent speakers for living room and good speakers for outside so he wont need a sub outside.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/18315918

He doesn't have a bluray so, any receivers that doesn't have dtshd/truehd decoding for cheaper price(with zone 2)?

room is around 25x15x10H rectangular(not exact)

The living room speakers don't have to be towers if it goes over his budget. He wants some decent speakers for living room and good speakers for outside so he wont need a sub outside.

Does he have plan to buy an Blu-Ray are some point? It is better to spend the money now for something with DTS-HD or TrueHD, I originally had just $300 budget which I extended it to 450 to get more of a future proof reciever.

Most recievers have at least a speaker set-A for at least 5.1 and then Set B for 2.0 speaker set.

For a room that large he is going to need a decent speaker set if he wants to have good sound. The only thing in his budget are satelite based systems which will struggle.

$500 is nothing to match your budget that will be worth it

He could try something like the Yahmaha yht-391 and then add outdoor speakers with in the end of your budget, though I would not expect much out of it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if he will get a bluray later. He does watch hidef cable channels but those don't have truehd/dtshd. What would you recommend of the lowest price you could find that's good? $600-700

What speakers for outside should he get?

people had said to get the pioneer vsx-819h-k. It has everything he wants. 280-300 price

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Yes that Pioneer Reciever would be a good place to start.

-But he is going to need big speaker set like the Jamo s406 5.0 kit and a subwoofer for true good 5.1. The Jamo's speakers would be good to start until he gets money for subwoofer they should cover it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k, that's like $550 without sub. He doesn't want a sub that will shake the house so, I think the bic v1020 will do fine. What about the outside speakers?

He seems to care more about the outside speakers than the surround sound in the living room. That's why they don't have to be tower speakers. Just something that sounds better than the tv speakers.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Well is he planning to through huge outdoor parties?

I think for his large room the speakers I suggested with a v1020 would be a decent sub for went he gets money

There is a 5.1 Jamo S 413 HCS 5 set-up but it will struggle in that large room though it will be better than TV speakers

He will have to have the wires run to most speakers in his budget and especially if he wants good loud sound.

PYLE PD-WR6T seem to have a good frequency range which is good.

YAMAHA NSAW150W has good ratings on newegg.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, he has like bbq's and birthday party's but not huge that's why he wants only 2. He wire everything up. Will he need a sub for any of those outdoor speakers?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/18322651

yeah, he has like bbq's and birthday party's but not huge that's why he wants only 2. He wire everything up. Will he need a sub for any of those outdoor speakers?

Most likely not the speakers I showed go down to about 50-55hz which is plenty.

I only found one outdoor subwoofer and its $300 alone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts