AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first HD tv, it's a Haier 32 720p lcd. The picture quality is very good. One thing i notice is it has a backlight setting. The highest setting on it is 30. I lowered it to 5, since it was too bright. I notice everytime i raise it up, it messy up my contrast settings, it makes the 'whites' brighter again and then i got to lower the conrast. What is the proper way to adjust the backlight setting? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
There are numerous settings that have to be adjusted to get the right look for your eyes. Many suggest getting a calibrating dvd and doing it that way. But an easier quick fix for now may be for you to check out your owner's manual and see where they discuss the available picture settings. There should be three or four overriding settings, like brightest, mid setting and movie. It may be called dynamic for brightest, etc. Choose a mid setting and then set your other pic settings (backlight, contrast and brightness) to their mid point and adjust from there. You may have the tv on dynamic, or whatever the highest setting is and that is the problem.

Check the link for some settings, tho not your exact tv, they may give you a starting point:

http://www.tweaktv.com/forum/lcd/nee...l32r/view.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it on Custom mode. I tried the other pre-set settings, they are all too bright, except theater mode, but that one is too dark. I didn't know it's this hard to adjust a HD tv, lol. I checked that site, but it doesn't have any backlight settings. I guess i will try and tinker with it. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I suggest setting the backlight at it's midpoint then turning down the brightness to get a white level you like. Then adjust the contrast for black levels you like. This should get you close then try adjusting these three settings again to improve on what you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18311206

I suggest setting the backlight at it's midpoint then turning down the brightness to get a white level you like. Then adjust the contrast for black levels you like. This should get you close then try adjusting these three settings again to improve on what you have.

Will do. Isn't the brightness for black levels and contrast for white levels?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18313619

Yes, However the brightnesss conntrol varies the black levels by making the screen brighter and if set too high will wash out the images. See:

http://www.bigshotcamera.org/section...rightness.html

And adjust the slider in the link

Very interesting article, to me anyways. I will tinker around, and hopefully get it to my liking. Again, Thank you for your kind help, i really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts