AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am looking to extend my 5.1 system to a 7.1 system. I am on a pretty tight budget but would like to buy four small speakers (

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After playing around with my pair of Cambridge Audio S30s I was wondering if I should forget on going with a 7.1 set up and just put the money into a nicer pair of surrounds (keep it a 5.1 system). Do you all think with the small size of my room that the rears (making it a 7.1 system) are necessary?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I'm sure opinions will vary, but generally speaking my preference would be 5.1 with better speakers over 7.1 with lesser speakers. But maybe the biggest factor is your room/space - i.e. is there room behind your listening position to accommodate a back-surround field that is separate from the side surround fields. If not then 7.1 won't buy you much.

FWIW, I think S30's make excellent surrounds (side and back). For a speaker that size/price they have remarkable (upper) bass, a rock solid mid-range, a fairly neutral tweeter and good imaging. I started with (highly regarded/reviewed) satellites for my surrounds and it worked ok (I have good sub). But when (for fun) I put in a pair of S30's as surrounds I was surprised how much it improved things - having the increased depth/range of sound back there really expanded the sense of "surround" sound. I used them as my surrounds for about a year until I finally upgraded to 5 matching speakers all the way around.

Currently I use the S30's as my bedroom speakers - a perfect fit

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53  /t/1499927/need-help-on-choosing-my...er-200-polk-vs-boston-acoustics#post_23957825

After playing around with my pair of Cambridge Audio S30s I was wondering if I should forget on going with a 7.1 set up and just put the money into a nicer pair of surrounds (keep it a 5.1 system). Do you all think with the small size of my room that the rears (making it a 7.1 system) are necessary?

5.1 is a good option - and can work out nicely

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I currently have a 5.1 system but the surrounds are generic, weak speakers. Using the Cambridge Audio S30s aren't an option for me as I need to wall mount my surrounds and rears (they are too big and rear ported). I have them in another room and just wanted to play around with them to hear the difference over my current (weak) surrounds... it was a big difference.

I'm really leaning towards the Polk OWM3s unless a better option presents itself.

I just feel that something is lacking in my system and am not fully sure what. I know it's not a "high-end" system for most but my budget wont allow much more. I could just be expecting too much. I was thinking of adding another sub but can't find a deal on the RW-12d anymore.

Thanks for the replies,

p.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately the SubZero 2.0 is no longer available. I have read good reviews but not able to find it for sale. The newer version 2.1 is out of my price range if I were to buy more than 2.

I do like the Boston SoundWave however I am getting that one vetoed by my better half based on looks (I will agree though that it would look pretty out of place in our HT room).

I wish there was a local store that carried the Polk OWM3 so I could test it out (and give a local store my business).

p.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I briefly had a pair of Polk TSX110B's for my rear surrounds until I stumbled onto a used pair of Paradigms (which my other speakers are)

and was pleased with them.....not overly bright, full sounding and pretty good pricing. A bonus with them is they have a bracket attached to the rear so you can wall mount them.

Up your budget a bit and go with them....I dont think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53  /t/1499927/need-help-on-choosing-my...er-200-polk-vs-boston-acoustics#post_23958583

Unfortunately the SubZero 2.0 is no longer available. I have read good reviews but not able to find it for sale. The newer version 2.1 is out of my price range if I were to buy more than 2.

Look at the NXG Pro 4.1 - good reviews - good price
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0044UHVOK

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea on how the NXG Pro 4.1 speakers can be wall mounted? I can't find a picture of the back of them. I read they are 10 pounds... I would really need to make them secure.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53  /t/1499927/need-help-on-choosing-my...er-200-polk-vs-boston-acoustics#post_23960036

Any idea on how the NXG Pro 4.1 speakers can be wall mounted? I can't find a picture of the back of them. I read they are 10 pounds... I would really need to make them secure.

They should have a threaded insert on the back

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a pair? If so, could you post a pic?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If you can bump the budget to $300 the Cambridge Audio S20's would make very good side/back surrounds (they are solid down to 80hz). They're typically $150 a pair - Newegg has them on sale but you can't see the price until checkout ...

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1499927/need-help-on-choosing-my...er-200-polk-vs-boston-acoustics#post_23961012

If you can bump the budget to $300 the Cambridge Audio S20's would make very good side/back surrounds (they are solid down to 80hz). They're typically $150 a pair - Newegg has them on sale but you can't see the price until checkout ...

They came up $149 in the cart

They are also $149 a pair here
http://www.audioadvisor.com/Cambridge-Audio-S20-Bookshelf-Speakers/productinfo/CAS20/#.UokzmMSTj58

And, at Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/cambridge_s20.html

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Thanks for checking the NewEgg price.

I mention the S20's because I think they'd be a step up from the satellite-ish speakers mentioned so far. Curious what others think.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I do like my S30s but the S20s are rear ported and I need a wall mounted option.

p.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53  /t/1499927/need-help-on-choosing-my...er-200-polk-vs-boston-acoustics#post_23961470

Thanks. I do like my S30s but the S20s are rear ported and I need a wall mounted option.

p.

The 20s are not ported.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I stand corrected. I must have been looking at the S30s! Thanks for clarifying that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts