Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !!!!

I just recently got a new yamaha HTR-5740 av receiver and it is okay for now untill i can afford a higher end model,and since i upgraded my receiver from panasonic sa-he70 to the yamaha i cant really say that i like the sound from my speakers. Right now i have two pioneer cs-v925 4 way speaker system (which i cant find any information about online) they are very nice and ive had them for a long time so they are not really the problem. the surround speakers are from audio source it was a cheap 5.1 system with a powered 100 watt sub from best buy,they really arent that bad to tell you the truth,ive had them for about a year and half and they sounded pretty good untill i upgraded the receiver.

Now my question is this i want to upgrade my speakers but money is kind of tight so i dont have a lot to spend,what would be a good brand of speakers to look at ? . My wife really likes bose and she is kind of set on them but she really doesnt know much about this stuff nor do i for that matter but i like paradigms (based on only what ive read in forums like this). my price range id say would be between $500-$700 tops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long story :)

THANK-YOU

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't get bose. Their audio performance is very poor. Lot's of threads here to read.

Is your wife not going to allow larger speakers? (i.e. you are limited to bookshelf size speakers and a subwoofer?)

I am also not familiar with your AVR personally, what is the wattage and does it handle 6 ohm impedance well? Is your main use music or home theater?

I have heard good things about paradigm but no personal experience.

If you are into in home demo'ing and A/B testing is not essential, your budget could be very well served by some of the better internet direct companies. (search for onix/diva and these threads will identify the others as well.)

Otherwise do some searching through this forum as there are LOTS of posts about 'best speakers for xxx USD...' with name brand lists from brick and mortar stores...

Some of the better brick and mortar 5.1 setups can be better recommended by others here as I cannot easily in my mind correlate well which brands have good setups in your price bracket. (totem acoustics? definitive technology? hmm, again others will give better feedback but those two come to mind.)

Cheers and happy hunting.

Curtis

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are looking for a new speaker system to go with your new receiver mostly for HT, one of the options is Velodyne Deco. You can get this 5.1 system for less than $800 online. Here is a recent review that covered the Deco system.

Another option is STF-3 + Ventriloquist package from Hsu Reseach, available for $739 directly from Hsu Research . You can downgrade this package to a STF-1 and save $$$ if the STF-3 is too big for your space.

Both of these Velodyne and Hsu systems are probably much better quality than Bose systems that cost nearly twice as much, at least as far as the subs are concerned.

If you are primarily interested in music, your optimal setup would be quite different. You will need some very high quality front speakers. There are many threads on this forum about which speakers are best for $XXX budget you may want to search for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.