AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - I can't get my zip code into local area 1 for the program guide operation. As soon as I pick "select zip code" it goes off into never-never land saying "loading zip code data base - please wait". Eventually it times out and by itself goes into "updating guide data - please wait". And that's where it stays forever.

It never gives me the opportunity to input my zip code.

This used to work, but now it doesn't. Toshiba technical support is no help, as they are only an 8-5 Mon-Fri group, which is when I am at work, and they won't provide assistance via email. So much for Toshiba technical support. If technical support is important to you, buy another brand. By my own experience, Sony has always been there, 7x24.

Rich Skala

Keller, TX

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have had the same problem with my Mitsubishi, which is the same receiver, as they are both made by Hughes.

Unfortunately, this will probably require you to do a hard reboot by pulling the plug. This can be a major problem with the Mitsubishi, as it is the only piece of AV equipment that I own that has a hard wired power cord, so I have to pull out my equipment rack to get at my power center to actually pull the plug.

Also unfortunately, this will probably require you go back and repeat some portions of the setup, particularly unselecting all of the channels that get automatically added back in when you power the receiver off.

More bad news: This is the behavior that my HD5 started exhibiting before it eventually started rebooting constantly. It went to the repair shop for two weeks before they declared it unrepairable. The replacement receiver was DOA right out of the box, couldn't receive a satellite signal at all.

Mitsubishi technical support is no better. I've actually had a Mits tech tell me the problem with my HD receiver is that I'm using a 24" elliptical dish!

·
Registered
73 Posts
richskala,

What is your satellite dish configuration? It sounds like perhaps the STB isn't able to load the database from the satellite and poops out on you.

You can force a reboot by pressing the ACTION key on the remote, waiting 3 to 4 seconds, then pressing the POWER button (again, on the remote and, of course, the remote must be in the satellite mode to begin with). This will cause it to power off, rest for a few seconds, and then power back up and reload the guide info.

How long does it take when it fails to load the zipcode database and what does it tell you? It normally seems to take at least a full minute or more before loading the zipcode database--it's forever if you're sitting there waitng for it. Then, once you enter in the zipcode it does re-acquire the guide data again which takes another couple of minutes.

I have found that the unit is inconsistent in letting you clear scanned OTA channels, so I usually go into local area and do a clear, then if nothing happens (which is most of the time), I tell it that there is nothing connected to both local inputs, do another clear, then go to the dish setup screen and clear the zipcode out and do a reboot. Once the unit comes back up, I let it reacquire the guide, then I go to the dish setup screen and do the zipcode thing (load zipcode database, enter zipcode, reload program guide), then I go into local area and, as I recall, the default is for OTA antenna on local area 1 so I don't have to change this back, but all of the local channels will be cleared out and only the locals loaded from the satellite program guide will be shown. Then I can do a scan and get the channels set up the way I want. Whew! It's a lot of work, but this is the only method that I've found to be consistent. I have to do this whenever one of the local digital stations changes their configuration of subchannels or PSIP stuff.

Hope this is useful. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Bandito, and Tom F. I did the soft boot

workaround as you suggested, because for me too it is difficult to remove power and do a cold boot. Clears and reboots, as suggested, did the trick! I hope I don't have to do this very often, but since the DST3000 keeps adding OTA stations, including duplicates, I suppose it will be necessary now and then to "clean it up"

Thanks again, Rich Skala

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richskala
Help - I can't get my zip code into local area 1 for the program guide operation. As soon as I pick "select zip code" it goes off into never-never land saying "loading zip code data base - please wait". Eventually it times out and by itself goes into "updating guide data - please wait". And that's where it stays forever.

It never gives me the opportunity to input my zip code.
I just got the exact same problem! Very frustrating. I will try the soft reboot tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Brett

Update: Thanks Bandito! Your tip worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.