AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here and need some advise. I just installed a Channel Master UHF antenna model 4221 with power amp 7775. I live in Carson, CA. For some reason I'm having such difficulty finding the reception. I live in a 2 story townhome, and I installed the antenna at the highest peak of the roof. I've been manually aiming the antenna at all locations and am only getting 2 channels if I'm lucky. I have followed what antennaweb.org's suggestion on where to aim the antenna. But still not getting anywhere. When I program my SONY SATHD100 hd satbox, it only gets 1 or 2 channels which is KTLA-DT 31 which appears as 5-1. And when I view this channel I get to much pixelling problems, kinda annoying. The funny thing is,before I was using an OMnidirectional round antenna and it was picking up some DTV channels. I have read thru alot of forums stating to use a ROTATOR. Would this cure my problems? Will this locate all of the uhf channels? Or is there such a thing as an antenna signal finder meter, just like what is used for satellites? Please let me know on what to do... : O )

Thanks.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have you tried your setup without the preamp? Sometimes the signal can overload the set-top box. And I think you probably will need a rotator.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info dcal. I will go ahead and try that.

Infact I went to RadioShack and bought me a rotator.

Wish me luck.

Thanks.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in the same general area as Carson, and you really should NOT need a rotor since all the towers are in the same location (Mt. Wilson). I have an attic antenna with a pre-amp and receive all the channels just fine, so something else is wrong with your setup.

First of all, dumb question, do you know which end of the antenna is the front? Is there another building or something that is between you and Mt Wilson? How long is the cable run from the antenna to your box? Are there any splitters before the box?

Also try it without the preamp to see what happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello HomerJ,

Also thanks for the info.I purchased one of those square mesh antenna with 4 bows on them,according to Channel Master antenna instructions, the bows are the one facing the front for getting the reception. Okay, let me tell you what I'm having as a setup. I installed the antenna at the highest peak of my roof and since I live in a townhome, there's one roof that's a little taller then my roof. I made sure to have the mast taller then that roof. So there's a clearance of sight. I haven't installed my 18x24 sat dish yet. Well that's another problem I have to deal with sooner or later..hehehe one problem at a time I guess. I am currently using the 18" dish I have. I have 2 lnb's, and the UHF Antenna running to a powered multi-switch to distribute to 3 rooms and at the end I'm using diplexers to split signals from ant to sat. I have to use diplexers cause I only have one cable run from each walls. But for the main hookup of UHF Antenna and sat coax cable where it gets connected to my HDbox, I think the cable run is 100 ft. or more because it's 3 level. From roof to attic to second floor to downstairs. I spoke to a pro-installer and he told me to stop using the powered multi-switch when I hookup my 18x24 dish. He told me to use a dc pass diplexer made by channel master to join the sat & uhf signal to one coax cable then before the hdbox hookup another dc pass diplexer, uhf goes to power supply in of the channel master power supply the uhf out to the DTV ant in of the HD box. And the other sat in of HD box. I tried this connection and definitly there's a signal loss from the satelite. And still no Uhf signal. So what I did was maintain original hookup just hooking up all sat and uhf to the powered multi switch. And sat signal came back. I followed directions of Channel Master and they stated to put the power supply close to the Tv or where signal comes in at the Hd box. But as I remember the powered multi-switch recommended to place any power supply at the uhf in before the distribution out of the multi-switch. Man is this getting to complicated or what? Now I'm figuring out this antenna project I have then comes the 18x24 dish geez....: O )

HomerJ since you live close by, maybe we can hookup? If that's ok with you? Anyways here's my email add [email protected]

Thanks.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Multi-slot switches and diplexors do not mix very well, esepcially in an extreme case.

So - Item #1 - regardless of how difficult running seperate cables for satellite and OTA may be, That is my first recomendation - seperate your problems.

Item #2 - Item #1 becomes even more important if you need to use a pre-amp for the OTA. Which it sounds like you need, especially for that long 100' run.

If you insist on using diplexors with that 18x24 dish and its multislot switch, make the zone between the switch and the LNB's an OTA-free zone. Put the power supply for your pre-amp on the same cable as the pre-amp, then split off for joining at the diplexors. Get GOOD diplexors - I've heard Eagle-Aspen makes good ones.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Scooper,

That's a great idea! What I plan on doing is this. I will get rid of the powered multi-switch when I install the 18x24 dish. Since the dish itself comes with it's own non powerd multiswitch.I will directly hook the 2 coax cables coming from the multiswitch, with a barrel connector to the 2 rooms. Since I only plan to watch UHF& Satellite on my HDTV, with the other line in from the satellite multiswitch "cause there's 4 outs" . I will cap off the 4th

multiswitch out line. On the 3rd line this is where I plan to combine the Uhf coax and the Sat coax. By using the DC PASS DIPLEXER. Then one coax goes to the other DC PASS DIPLEXER to seperate one signal to the Antenna power supply and other to the Satellite in of HD RECIEVER. Now the question is: Do you think this would work?

This is after I get to fix the first problem which is getting the Uhf reception. Please let me know.

Thanks.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Diaz:
Man is this getting to complicated or what? Now I'm figuring out this antenna project I have then comes the 18x24 dish geez....: O )
Well . . . the good news is that hooking up the satellite dish will be much easier than getting terrestrial HDTV reception.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I REALLY would put the pre-amp and it's power supply BEFORE joining with the diplexors / splitters. This is the BEST way to ensure that what needs power is getting it from the proper power supply. This might mean doing all your wiring up in the attic - pull an AC ciruit up there to make this easier. Your satellite recievers also put voltage on the coax, and this way you avoid mixups.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Scooper,

Thanks for the advice and I will try that.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
70 Posts
I work in west Long Beach right on the border with Carson. Our OTA UHF reception here is very good even indoors. Try just using an indoor UHF antenna on your HDTV receiver. It doesn't have to be fancy, maybe just an old UHF loop or bowtie antenna. If that gives you a useable signal you could try getting one of those indoor double-bowtie models from Radio Shack. You probably won't need an amp with that setup. With your rooftop setup and a rotor you should be able to get San Diego most of the time if you aim a little south of Signal Hill.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey DlSnyder,

Thanks for the info but it's kinda late to return the CM 4221 ANT. And for the rotator I already assembled it. Just have to wire everything. But what I am still concerned is the one coax cable running thru my wall. I know if I hookup the antenna by itself it will work. But with the sat signal and ant coming to one dc pass diplexer? I still have to play with it and see if it works. Someone told me to place the ant power supply before the diplexer so there's no confusion on the signals. Well I guess the best thing is to experiment. Alright let me go and I will let you know if it works.

Have a good one.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.