AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Idaho! Merkaba sent me over here to grab some advice. I have a family area that I will have mini-theater room on one side. The basement is not finished but will be soon. This gives me some flexibility with running wires and mounting distance with it looking clean.

A good friend of mine has a Epson 8350 but I am leaning towards a BenQ W1070 as I kinda want 3D to play with along with a great picture.

Now Merkaba screen is painted, I am leaning towards that but not sure the exact mixtures I need (I will read up on the sticky a lot before I start my endeavor if I go that route). My budget for the screen is around 300. Here are some pictures of my basement as it sits right now, just to give you an idea.

Now I don't have a dealer here in Idaho for Sintra. Any help on what screen and mixture will be best from my setup?

NOTE: The door might be removed to open up the basement landing, still undecided on that. That is the only window in the room when the basement is finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can try some Flexiwhite from Carl's Place and build your own frame out of aluminium or poplar.

As for paint, depends on how light controlled the room will be. What are your plans? Cave or living space?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Knowing the room dimensions and approximate seating-distance will help you narrow down what screen-size to aim for as well as where to mount the projector.
Depending on how dark you can paint the room and how well you can keep lights away from hitting the screen will decide if a special paint (or even just a plain surface) would be best.

If the room ends up decently dark and dark-colored, you might be perfectly fine painting a screen directly onto the drywall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The projector wall is around 16 feet. I really like a 10x5 sheet to spray to get the perfect texture and color pop. Just not sure where to get sintra since there are no dealers around me. As far as seating depth, that is to be determined, it is a wide open area so it just depends on what will be best. The projector is going to be mounted on the ceiling.

Here is a picture of my basement layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
How high are your ceilings? Before i started finishing my basement I taped off the screen sizes on the wall that I was considering to get a better idea what I wanted. I was a bit more limited than you, as i knew my seating would be around 12ft back. I did the same for speaker placement too. Do you have any idea what kind of look you are going for, if any? Do you plan on leaving lights on around other areas of the basement? Like momswgn said...is it a cave where you plan on blacking everything out when you watch...or is it more of a living space where lights and doors will be on and open...or a combo? I personally had a very specific look/idea I was going for in my build. So it made it a bit easier. If your just looking for a great picture on a regular screen. My first suggestion would be momswgn idea. Build a frame...wrap the Carls Flexiwhite around it...and spray the flexiwhite with SilverFirev2.5 (or wait a few...because a newer version of SF is coming at some point "soonish"). In regards to Sintra...maybe if MM sees this thread, he may be of some help. The only reason why I'm recommending SilverFirev2.5 is because I used it...and am extremely happy with the results (as you know).

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
alfmoonspace,

Don't wait for the w6000 owner to PM you. Post on his thread that he can consider it "sold" at his asking price..

It is a killer deal at that price...and even if you have to purchase a lamp not long from now, it's still a killer deal.
http://www.buyquest.com/BenQ-W6000-Genuine-Compatible-Projector-Lamp-Module.html?CAPCID=6786935060&CADEVICE=c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CA_IDS_Projector%20Lamp%20%28GC%29&utm_term=%2BBenQ%20%2BW6000%20%2BLamp&CA_6C15C=120134370004977786

That PJ is ideally suited for your size screen and application (room)

Don't be caught snoozzin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as sourcing Sintra, if you have a Sign Shop in your town, they can order you a sheet from Laird Plastics....or you might get one shipped direct.
Laird has a Distribution point in Salt Lake City. Considering you live in Spudville, USA, that's as close as you'll find.

Otherwise, it's all about Flexi-White baby...
.............or Flexi-Grey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have the cash if he gets back to me. Is that projector better than the 1070? I will check with a sign place here in town to see if they can get me that sheet.

PS: I wrote on his thread that it can be considered sold :)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
Have the cash if he gets back to me. Is that projector better than the 1070? I will check with a sign place here in town to see if they can get me that sheet.

PS: I wrote on his thread that it can be considered sold :)
Better'n the 1070?

Extremely so...on virtually every important point and aspect. It is a true Home Theater PJ, with 5x the Contrast. It is a bit louder "Fan Wise", but one must consider it also has Horizontal & Vertical Lens Shift (...and both actually have decent ranges of adjustment....) and a much more wider range in the Zoom department.

.........and this one cost less than the 1070 does. :D

I would ask the owner if he had it calibrated though, as the factory defaults are fairly far off from acceptable. But once the PJ is adjusted, it is an excellent unit for the money he's asking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called a local place on the Sintra board, they can get me a 10x5. Now do I need 3mm or 6mm? My guess is 3mm but just want to be sure. It will run me about 120 bucks. Now when I spray it, I will probably spray it in my basement, is that sufficient in terms make sure there isn't any dust floating around?

Also, MississippiMan, if I go with the SilverFox, what mixture would you go with for the w6000?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How high are your ceilings? Before i started finishing my basement I taped off the screen sizes on the wall that I was considering to get a better idea what I wanted. I was a bit more limited than you, as i knew my seating would be around 12ft back. I did the same for speaker placement too. Do you have any idea what kind of look you are going for, if any? Do you plan on leaving lights on around other areas of the basement? Like momswgn said...is it a cave where you plan on blacking everything out when you watch...or is it more of a living space where lights and doors will be on and open...or a combo? I personally had a very specific look/idea I was going for in my build. So it made it a bit easier. If your just looking for a great picture on a regular screen. My first suggestion would be momswgn idea. Build a frame...wrap the Carls Flexiwhite around it...and spray the flexiwhite with SilverFirev2.5 (or wait a few...because a newer version of SF is coming at some point "soonish"). In regards to Sintra...maybe if MM sees this thread, he may be of some help. The only reason why I'm recommending SilverFirev2.5 is because I used it...and am extremely happy with the results (as you know).
It is more of a living space since it is like one huge room but since it is so dark down there its is pretty much a cave. I will be using two Canton tower speakers (no surround sound) and a Nakamichi receiver. I am going to tape off 10x5 right now to see what it looks like. For right now, I have sofas but wanting to get some chairs ladder on.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
Called a local place on the Sintra board, they can get me a 10x5. Now do I need 3mm or 6mm? My guess is 3mm but just want to be sure. It will run me about 120 bucks. Now when I spray it, I will probably spray it in my basement, is that sufficient in terms make sure there isn't any dust floating around?

Also, MississippiMan, if I go with the SilverFox, what mixture would you go with for the w6000?

6 mm is what is used
. 3 mm is very thin...to the point it is not rigid enough to not bow between supports on a frame, and / or it will transfer any bumps or ridges from using a adhesive to mount it to the Frame / Supports.

3 mm can be applied to a extremely smooth surface using a brush-on adhesive....but I cannot recall anyone having done so.

BTW...the name is "Silver Fire"

But Oh Crap......:eek:

When I saw the post by airscapes about the available w6000 I got a bit excited for you. But airscapes obviously did not read your first post very carefully, and I did not review your 1st post either. Both our Bads :(

The w6000 DOES NOT DO 3D.

I could find no reference that it has that capability.

I am so sorry I chimed in, enthusiasm notwithstanding.

All that said, I'd need to know for sure what PJ you'll be getting to suggest the best Silver Fire formula.

Here is a comparable "New" PJ w/great 3D http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_3500.htm

Sadly, it cost just over 2x a much. But it is 2500 lumen and much higher contrast

There is the 839.00 BenQ HT1075 to consider. http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_ht1075_review.htm
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-HT1075-1...UTF8&qid=1431048843&sr=1-1&keywords=benq+1075

The brighter $599.00 Optoma HD141x http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X...UTF8&qid=1431048843&sr=1-5&keywords=benq+1075

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
Notwithstanding 3D, would you take the W6000 over these PJ's?
At full price? No way....I'd choose the Epson or the Optoma. The w1075 would be my 3rd choice All becaise they do 3D
But the w6000 at $599.00? If 3D was not a consideration? 'ell yeah!

SilverFox sounds sooooo much better! :)
Now your being Hateful.

Just for you...you can call your new mix by it's "REAL" name.

Yeah...that's right.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At full price? No way....I'd choose the Epson or the Optoma. The w1075 would be my 3rd choice All becaise they do 3D
But the w6000 at $599.00? If 3D was not a consideration? 'ell yeah!

Now your being Hateful.

Just for you...you can call your new mix by it's "REAL" name.

Yeah...that's right.
Black Flame? Please tell me this is not you!

Picked up the projector for 6 bills shipped. Excited for it to say the least. Now on to the screen.

Screen size will be around 100-110 inches. I can get the 6mm. I will be spraying this in my basement before its finished so if there is overspray I don't have to worry about it.

I can probably start working on the screen soon!

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
Black Flame? Please tell me this is not you!

Naw.....I'm old enough to be his Grandfather. :D

Picked up the projector for 6 bills shipped. Excited for it to say the least. Now on to the screen.

Screen size will be around 100-110 inches. I can get the 6mm. I will be spraying this in my basement before its finished so if there is overspray I don't have to worry about it.

I can probably start working on the screen soon!
That's cool. It's always great to pre-hang the Sintra then spray in place. Are you mounting directly onto the Drywall then "Butt" Trimming the exterior edge? Spray Gun to be used?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,175 Posts
It will be mounted on the drywall, not sure if I will do a trim. I plan on spray gunning it.
OK then. A Flat wall mount is ideal for spraying as it only leaves a 6 mm rise along the edges.

Let me know when you have the material and are ready to mount it for tips and instructions.

BTW, the adhesive you'll want to use is PowerGrab Extra Strength

1 - 19 of 19 Posts