AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a samsung 50" 5084 1080p plasma hdtv. im new with this home theater thing and i have been lurking around this forum for almost 3 months now but still confused what is the right set up for me. i have read that onkyo ht-sp908 is a great HTIB. but i wanna make sure im in the right path before shelling out 800 dollars. i really like the samsung as720 but i dont think samsung has all the slots i need for the things i have.

room specs: (not closed)

L : 19ft

W: 14 ft

things i have:

wii

xbox 360 premium

ps3

directv hd cable

directv dvr

charter cable

hd dvd player

tivo hd(soon)

i want all of these to be connected to the speakers. so no matter what i use i still get sounds from the setup. sorry for the terms i used. still a newb with this.

what are your suggestions? budget is 800 as much as possible and 1000 max. i dont care if its not in a box. piece by piece is fine by me as long as its within the budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless you run the audio from your TV to the Samsung as720, you can count that out if you want to hear your Wii on your stereo as the Samsung as720 doesn't have component inputs, and the Wii cable is an all-in-one (yes you can put adapters on it, etc. etc.....).

The Onkyo ht-sp908 is a great system, that is NOT 'truly' a "HTIB". It is a component receiver (the popular 605) with a bundled speaker set. It is the best bang for $770- hands down. It has 2 HDMI 1.3 inputs for your TRUE HD audio and component inputs. No matter what you get for around this price point you won't be able to hook up all your HDMI to the receiver, but you don't want to hook up your components with tuners in them to the receiver anyway because there is such a lag. I am sure your TV had a digital out (optical or coaxil) to hook up to the stereo for the components you hook up to the tv. You'll want to use the HDMI inputs on the stereo for your PS3 and HD DVD because of the 7.1 (I don't believe that is transferred via optical or digital coaxil).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts