AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first 5.1 surround sound. I have an Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver, speakers I am most likely getting are the Mirage nanosat prestige $450 new (retails $950). My living room is a living/dining room, 13 feet by 24 feet with 19 foot ceilings. I would like the ability to feel low bass outputs but not necessary. I don't usually have the volume that loud but then again I've never had surround sound.

Budget for a sub is around the $500. It would be used 80/20, HT/music.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either

-Definitive technology Supercube iii for $350 new (retails $700)

-Definitive technology Supercube ii for $450 new (retails $900)

*I've heard both subs and they sound really good even in the worst placement. But then again I've never heard anything else.

First question is, is it worth the extra $100 between the both of these and will these fill my room since it is fairly large?

Second question is could I get a better subwoofer than these for under $500?

I've read throughout this forum about these subwoofers, and how SVS & HSU would be better subwoofers, but the comparable subwoofers from these companies would be around $700.

Open to take suggestions, advices or any comments you might have.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If that 19-foot ceiling isn't a typo, I don't think you'll fill that space on the budget you have. The Epik Empire is the only sub close to your $700 price range I believe that'll have any kind of chance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've never looked at Definitive technology until you mentioned them (I'm shopping for a subwoofer), I've seen nothing but good reviews after researching today.

But where are you find them for $350 and $450?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a buddy take can hook me up at BB.

Yea all the reviews are great on amazon and BB, but this site is not very fond of them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those are great prices on the DefTechs. I have a SuperCube III, and am pleased with the performance. I have an L-shaped room (12x20 main portion) with 10' ceilings. My sound levels are somewhat restrained because I live in an apartment, but the Cube III has no problem meeting my needs. If that's the limit of your budget, the Cube II should be a winner.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think when I'm ready to buy I will go with elementaldesigns... I've read quite a bit of the ED thread over the past couple of weeks and I'm convinced they make quality stuff.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would go for the supercube 2. It should be noticeably more powerful than the supercube 3, what with twice the amp power and a slightly larger driver. However, like you said, your room is large, you might seriously think about getting two of them, since you are getting a great deal. The supercubes are good, but they won't give you real deep bass, and for deep bass you will have to turn to an internet direct company like Hsu or Outlaw Audio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18215110

I would go for the supercube 2. It should be noticeably more powerful than the supercube 3, what with twice the amp power and a slightly larger driver. However, like you said, your room is large, you might seriously think about getting two of them, since you are getting a great deal. The supercubes are good, but they won't give you real deep bass, and for deep bass you will have to turn to an internet direct company like Hsu or Outlaw Audio.

Could I later down the line add another sub SVS or HSU 12" and work it in junction with the supercube 2 with my 5.1 onkyo receiver? or would i need an 7.2 receiver. that way i can work the supercube for mid/low-bass and the bigger sub for lower bass..

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiunit98 /forum/post/18218363

Could I later down the line add another sub SVS or HSU 12" and work it in junction with the supercube 2 with my 5.1 onkyo receiver? or would i need an 7.2 receiver. that way i can work the supercube for mid/low-bass and the bigger sub for lower bass..

Using the supercube as a midbass module is not a bad idea, that is where it's strength is after all. You don't need a 7.2 receiver to do that with, there are a couple different ways of going about it.

You could use a Y-splitter from the sub out on your receiver, and use a high-pass filter like t his one going to the supercube, so it isn't trying to play deep frequencies. That will help it's performance as a mid-bass module. You could run the full signal to the other sub, and experiment with it's crossover to see what sounds best to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts