Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Let me first start off by saying that this is my first post and I am very new to this. Having said that, I have been kicking the tires on a Panasonic PT-42PHD4-P. I now own a Sony kp-53xbr 4:3 set that claims to accept a 1080i signal (which I am sure I would be looking at the bars top and bottom instead of on the sides if I had a 16:9 set and watched standard cable). I noticed that I can purchase the panni 42 for around 5k and the 50 for around 7k. The B&M's add 2-3k for each one. I am sure if I can talk my wife into 5k for a 42 I can most definately baffle her with my bulls*@$ and get the 50" hdtv panni. But I have ? before I pull the trigger.

1. Comcast cable will be in my area in about a month. They claim that they will be sending some hd signals. I cannot nail a tech down on what the signal will be. Will it be 780 or 1080?

2. When I went looking at the plasmas. The salesman said that we were viewing HDnet over DSS. If this is true it was awesome. He said that they have been promising more HD content for the last year but haven't come through. Which is the better way to go Satelite or Cable?

3. This set will go into a game/family room. My kids will have most of the control of the set. Is there any harm in playing gamecube or playstation2 games?

4. When I built the room I put in a access pipe running to a closet near by. The will be used to house the audio, dvd, ect. The cables will have to be around 16-18'. Can I find componet cables this long.

5. Should I invest in a hd reciever to recieve hd content over the air, and or do I need one for either the satelite or cable.

Sorry to ramble but I am excited about this new plasma technology. Let me says Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide.

Par_Man

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1) I can't remember which signal Comcast sends, but I think the Motoral box (DCT 5200) they use can send either. Either way it doesn't really matter as the Panny can accept either input. It will scale it to its native resolution regardles.

2)Sat or Cable is a big debate. Both are slowly starting to add HD, and both have advantages over the other. Just a choice you have to make.

3)Games aren't really a problem, though there is some concern for 8 hours of straight gaming with a game that has a static image (status display, etc..) You'd just need to educate the younguns on burn in, and making sure if they pause the game to go get snacks they turn off the display or some such aminal. Do a search on Burn In or Ghosting on this board and you'll find lots of good info and experiences with various brands.

4) Yes, you can find component cables in pretty long lengths, though make sure they're very high quality to avoid signal degredation.

5)If you go with Cable or Satellite, you can get an HD receiver (some of the sat models also have OTA capability, which might be a plus), so you wouldn't need an extra receiver.

Think that covers it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the HD model Panny and am very pleased I went that route. I am sure you will be too.

As far as Comcast goes, I believe the signal will be 1080. They do provide a receiver. I have no idea of the quality regarding the scanner but will see that when it arrives in 2 months or so. The predicted arrival in the Stockton, CA market is to be mid summer so we will see. I did see satellite HD on a neighbor's set and it is something to behold. It will be interesting to compare signals.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So Comcast is finally catching up in the Stockton area? They seemed to have been trailing quite a bit last time I was out there (which was about a year ago now).

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Comcast HD - uses the DCT5200 box, and is selectable to 480i/480p/720p/1080i. It doesn't auto-adjust for the incoming signal format, but will convert (upscale/sidescale) to your chosen resolution. It doesn't have an OTA tuner (as many/most of the HD sat receivers do), so if you want the local OTA HD content, you'll need an additional HD STB (and a way to route the signal to your plasma).

I'm not going to touch the sat vs cable, as that's almost a religious topic. In some areas, cable is better, in others sat is....you'll have to choose for yourself based on content, #of channels, and price.

Moebius covered the rest of your ??'s pretty well..

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.