AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a new house as of tomorrow morning. At this time we wont have a dedicated HT room but instead will be using our living room as a dual purpose room(all we do in there is watch tv anyway). We will have a dedicated game room for all the other toys tho. Anyway...my current setup at the old house is this...Sony 60inch Rear Proj LCD with 5.1 DefTech surround setup. The speakers I have are BP3000 (L and R), CLR 3000 Centerchannel, BPX rear channels, and the Def Tech Powerfield Reference Sub. Here is a pic of the setup..pardon the mess we are starting to box things up for the move.

Center channel is over the tv and the L and R are to the outside of the entertainment center

Rears are up high as that was the only place for them.

Now here is my new living room (these pics are with the previous owners furniture still in place) The only place for a tv is over the fireplace.

Hopefully I will be purchasing a Pioneer 60" Kuro in the next few weeks to be placed there. We are ripping off the mantle and just putting a simple frame around the actual fireplace to lower the tv location. We will use the two side pieces of our monster entertainment center, one on each side of the fireplace and the L and R will go on the outside edge of each. THe problem comes with the center channel. THe def tech is too heavy and deep to mount recessed into the space over the fireplace. I currently have a Denon AVR thats about 7 years old that I would also like to replace with something that is 7.1 capable and can handle HDMI. Bottom line is I am looking for advice on what I can get for a center channel that will fit in with my current setup and what receivers would be a good match with my system. Also open to any ideas for general setup and layout anyone has. And yes the fireplace is pretty much the only option for tv location as one wall is all windows, one is an open hallway and the other open wall is opposite of the fireplace and wouldnt allow us to set up our furniture like we would like.

·
Registered
30,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall2276 /forum/post/14302060

Hopefully I will be purchasing a Pioneer 60" Kuro in the next few weeks to be placed there. We are ripping off the mantle and just putting a simple frame around the actual fireplace to lower the tv location. We will use the two side pieces of our monster entertainment center, one on each side of the fireplace and the L and R will go on the outside edge of each.

Really? You will be repeating the errors of the other setup. Putting the BP3000s in a small enclosed niche is to make their bipolar feature a grave disadvantage. These things need space about them. Looking at the pix of the new place, I thought that they would gain that breathing room but, then, you say you are going to put the side pieces of the entertainment center in with them and that will screw it up. I suggest you forget about the shelf units.

Quote:
THe problem comes with the center channel. THe def tech is too heavy and deep to mount recessed into the space over the fireplace. I currently have a Denon AVR thats about 7 years old that I would also like to replace with something that is 7.1 capable and can handle HDMI. Bottom line is I am looking for advice on what I can get for a center channel that will fit in with my current setup and what receivers would be a good match with my system.

Too many options.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14302289

Really? You will be repeating the errors of the other setup. Putting the BP3000s in a small enclosed niche is to make their bipolar feature a grave disadvantage. These things need space about them. Looking at the pix of the new place, I thought that they would gain that breathing room but, then, you say you are going to put the side pieces of the entertainment center in with them and that will screw it up. I suggest you forget about the shelf units.

Too many options.

Well the side shelves are a must have for the better half. I got the side sections for free a couple years ago and had the middle section built to accomodate the tv and center channel. I already had all the equipment and had to make it all work together as best as possible in the space I had. The wife fell in love with the whole piece and is heartbroken we cant use it in the new house bc it is just too big so to make her happy we have to use the side pieces here and the center section possibly in another room. TO give you an idea of how big that piece is with all three sections the height is 9' 7" and the width is 12'9"

·
Registered
30,729 Posts
The bigger it is, the more it will compromise the sound. I do not know how happy you were with the BP3000s stuck in those little niches in the old house but, if you were, I have nothing to suggest. It won't be as bad in the new one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern is figuring out the center channel. I guess I will have to go with something that is recessed but Iwont know exactly how much room I have till we get in and rip out the mantle and see whats back there. Any ideas on good recessed centers that would match well with the other speakers i have?

I know what I have is way more than I need for the size room and not being laid out as a true dedicated HT but the speakers were all free and practically new from my dad so I am trying to work with what I have as much as possible.

·
Registered
30,729 Posts
I doubt if any other centers will match your bipole main speakers, certainly not shallow ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts