AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm not 100% sure of what to do here but heres what I have so far.

I have the Denon AVR1910

I have 4 ceiliing speakers, NHT IC3s

IN theory would sound be ok if I bought 2bookshelves for the front, bought a Sub and bought a center speaker and added it with the 4 ceiling speakers that I own?

I am looking to spend 300 to 400 on these 3 speakers and a sub.

Also the living room that this will go into is rather small so that is why I would like to go with some ceiling options if possible, and not losing much sound.

Should I just buy a brand new setup all together? Since space is a factor I might ditch the 7.1 all together and get a 5.1 setup. Any ideas of a good 5.1 system for around 400

Any guidance will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
are the 4 ceiling speakers arranged for surround "sides" and "rears" ? If so, then you can certainly use them.

If at all possible, try to avoid using ceiling speakers for the primary "front 3" L-C-R speakers. Those need to be as close to "seated ear level" as practical, and centered on the TV. (the totally snarky response is "your TV is not on the ceiling, your speakers should not be either"
)

5.1 is a good option, use 2 of the ceiling speakers that are in the correct location for "over the shoulder sides" and concentrate your speaker purchases on getting the best "front 3" you can....they carry 90 to 95% of the movie soundtrack audio anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Heres a picture of the room. I think Its about 8 feet from wall to wall.

The 3 windows in this picture will be where the rear speakers go, I will put them in the wall. The TV and front speakers are going to be exactly opposite of the 3 windows. My problem for making them 7.1 is that the ceiling slants on the from left to right, which would make one speaker lower than the other. Would this be an issue?

Also any suggestions on small sized front speakers? I would like to avoid getting floor speakers, just since I am limited in space.

Thanks for the reply so far.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
this speaker set from Jamo should work well in your smaller room http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...02-hcs-5-black

all (except the sub, of course) are wall mountable. With the relatively short distance from the TV wall to the window wall, I will assume the couch or chairs will be right up against the window wall ? If so, 7.1 is completely out. A 5.1 will have the speakers on the side walls near the corner, or spread on the window wall
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

glare and reflections are going to be a major problem with all the windows in the room, the 3 opposite the TV will be the worst. Fairly light-proof curtains will be in order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think the JAMO that you recommend has a good sound to it? I wanna make sure I am getting a really great sounding system.

Also do you think 2 speakers right above the windows will be too high up?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the problem is "really good sounding system" and smaller wall mounted speakers do not often go together in the same sentence. It is all a compromise. Larger full range speakers do not wall mount easily, while smaller units with much smaller speaker cone area do. As you limit the physical size of the speakers actually reproducing sound, you limit their effectiveness.

But to answer your question, folks who actually own the Jamo speakers do like their sound as they tend towards the "warm" side. Similar smaller wall mount units from Polk tend to the "colder, more precise" sound. Really though, it all in the listeners mind because everyone hears sound differently.

above the windows - no, they really should be a little lower and on the outside of the 1st and 3rd windows...or on the side walls aimed at the listening position. Remember, they are not "rears" but "sides" in a 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
With your room setup, save the $$$, and go with 5.1. 8' dimension? Really not a room where you want to go with 7.1 rear speakers. So, your budget per speaker has just expanded after you sell the extra two ceiling speakers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts