AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've read a little bit here and there on these forums for years and just now finally joined up. I've been procrastinating my purchase of a new Home Theater Setup for quite some time (years!) and I'm now I'm financially able and willing to do it.

The system will be for use with my PC, xbox360 via hdmi and optical cable, up convert dvd player, and hybrid hd/blu-ray player (on my pc) for movies, music, and games.

I like both my movies and music LOUD, though sometimes I play music softly in the morning hours. I listen to a lot of downtempo trance, ambient psychedelic chillout type music, old-school hip-hop, and classic rock.

The setup will be for a room which is 14' x 10' in size. I don't have much room to work with because the room is also my bedroom, so sadly, despite my want for Tower Speakers, they are pretty much out of the question until I move into a larger living space.

I currently have a 32" Samsung (LN-T3253H) TV wall-mounted with a Sony 5.1 STR-750P Receiver and cheap 1-way Sony speakers - I can't believe I put up with these speakers for this long! I hate them because you basically have to be in a direct line from them to hear them correctly.

I was considering (keyword: was) a Bose System :):ducks:
but after reading on this site, I've now decided against them.

I'm basically looking for a 5.1 surround system because I don't have a need or desire to go with 6.1 or 7.1. To be able to upgrade in the future though would be a nice option, but not a necessity.

So, onto my budget:

As far as a receiver is concerned... if I buy Sony, I can go higher because I have a credit of $450 to use towards any Sony product. I could always use that credit towards something else in the future, it'd just be nice to use it up is all. Including the receiver and speakers, I'd really like to keep it all under the $2,000 mark. I'd really prefer to keep it all under $1,500. Lower than that, of course, would be great! I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'm considering floor standing speakers for the front channels despite my real lack of room. I could possibly fit them if I shift some things around. I have an additional question, which may be stupid, would it be ok to wall mount floor standing speakers?

Also, to add to the dimensions of my room, the ceiling is 7' 6" high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 /forum/post/12968852

Take a look

***it won't let me post URLs lol***

That looks like a really nice speaker system. I like the black. Do you happen to know if I could wall mount those front channel speakers? Any receiver recommendations? I'm leaning towards Sony only because I have a $450 credit towards my next Sony purchase, but I'm willing to give any receiver a shot. It seems that the Onkyo 605 is highly recommended. Would this be a good match with that speaker setup?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been scrolling through the forums and read in many places that the sub included in the Intimus 532 Cinema isn't that great for the money and that you can do better, however I haven't seen any suggestions on what would be better.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts