AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was thinking about a game like rock band or the other one, here is the deal, I would like to get the guitar, drums. I think my girls would like it, they are 5 and 9. Now what to get I have the PS3 going through HDMI into my Denon 4306 amp and from there to my 50 inch plasma and going through 7.1 surround sound speakers which are all B&W except the sub is DCM. What would be the best for me and sound the best, remember I have never played this game before so I will be a noob at it, that is why I am asking you what would be the best game for me to get?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Rock Band.

The sound quality is going to be pretty much equal in both games so that's really a non-issue. IMO however Rock Band is the superior game. All the lead devs at Harmonix are actual musicians and it shows because the notes you hit in game line up properly with the notes in the actual song so it feels like you're actually playing the song and it makes rhythm actually matter . Guitar Hero on the other hand just feels like your trying to hit colored dots as they scroll down the screen and if you mess up the song is temporarily interrupted by a *bink* noise. On screen visual cues don't make sense with the correlating music. It's something that's readily apparent on the easier difficulties but downright nonsensical on the harder difficulties where the game starts to feel like the devs just wanted to see how many notes they scroll down the screen at a speed that far exceeds that of any song you're playing.

Rock Band also has a much wider song selection. On top of what you'll get on the disc there's a ridiculous number of songs, even full albums, from a wide variety of artists available as downloadable content. There's little doubt you'll find plenty of music both you and your girls like. Guitar Hero isn't nearly as well supported because Activision just wants you to buy the game over every year to get a new list of songs and what you'll find on the disc ranges from classics to decent stuff to utter crap.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Just for kicks, if you can get the Rock Band disc and purchase the Guitar Hero instruments, you'll be golden.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/17017236

Just for kicks, if you can get the Rock Band disc and purchase the Guitar Hero instruments, you'll be golden.

I'll kind of second this. The Guitar Hero guitar controllers are nicer but the Rock Band drums are higher quality. I love the three pads/two cymbals design of the Guitar Hero drums but the drum pads are known to have sensitivity issues and you need to constantly re-tighten the cymbals.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/17017266

I'll kind of second this. The Guitar Hero guitar controllers are nicer but the Rock Band drums are higher quality. I love the three pads/two cymbals design of the Guitar Hero drums but the drum pads are known to have sensitivity issues and you need to constantly re-tighten the cymbals.

Word.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslide /forum/post/17017615

GH5 on Wii>>>>

specially if you got a DS

I nominate this post for winner of least PS3 related post on a PS3 thread

yay for you

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I picked Rock Band for my kids last holiday season over GH after reading about many of the instrument problems and failures GH was having. Im assuming the GH problem may have since been fixed but you may want to research it before deciding however my recommendation would still be for the Rock Band that was problem free and my kids love it.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
I have two girls like the OP and have tossed around the idea of getting The Beatles RB. I'm not a major fan of the group, but my oldest daughter wants a rhythm game after mastering Rhythm Nation on her DS.

The songs are milder in The Beatles than the normal RB and GH, so I thought that'd be a good one to get (even the trailer for Lego RB looks blah IMHO). If I went that route, would the instruments in the game work with RB discs if I eventually decided to get that?

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/17019302

I have two girls like the OP and have tossed around the idea of getting The Beatles RB. I'm not a major fan of the group, but my oldest daughter wants a rhythm game after mastering Rhythm Nation on her DS.

The songs are milder in The Beatles than the normal RB and GH, so I thought that'd be a good one to get (even the trailer for Lego RB looks blah IMHO). If I went that route, would the instruments in the game work with RB discs if I eventually decided to get that?

Yes and all past Rock Band instruments will work with The Beatles RB.

Also Amazon currently has the Rock Band 2 Bundle (Game, Guitar, Mic, and Drums) for $99. Link

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think that RB Beatles will support multiple mics, so the might be the only additional investment

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I prefer Rock Band for the instruments and gameplay. Guitar Hero is good and has some great music (a lot of the same songs on both) but the gameplay, as stated earlier, flows better with the music. It also has a much larger music library than GH. As for the instruments, I can't stand the fat neck and loud clicking on the GH guitars. On RB they are much quieter, have the standard and solo buttons (which allow me to play almost everything on 'expert') and that knob that lets you alter the pitch of the guitar. The GH drums are quieter, but they seem to break much quicker than the RB drums.

IMO it's not even close. I enjoy playing Rock Band much more than Guitar Hero, and that's coming from someone who used to absolutely be addicted to GH.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Plus Rock Band has the Beatles game coming out! A great way to introduce your girls to the greatest band of all time! First RB or GH game to support 2 and 3 part harmony as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unless you truly want the replica guitars for Rock Band Beatles, I'd suggest getting RB2 at $99 and then get the Beatles stand-alone disc for $60. I have a 16 year old stepdaughter, and there are a fair number of songs from RB2 & RB1 that she enjoys. Plus, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get non-Beatles DLC if you only have the Beatles disc (I'm guessing no).

·
Registered
12,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo311 /forum/post/17022074

Unless you truly want the replica guitars for Rock Band Beatles, I'd suggest getting RB2 at $99 and then get the Beatles stand-alone disc for $60. I have a 16 year old stepdaughter, and there are a fair number of songs from RB2 & RB1 that she enjoys. Plus, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get non-Beatles DLC if you only have the Beatles disc (I'm guessing no).

I read that its confirmed that you can't dload non-Beatles stuff. I wish you could though... I don't like the overwhelming majority of stuff on the disc (I don't like rock in general).

Picking and choosing from online tracks is preferred than buying a bunch of pre-determined songs I don't want. It's almost like buying a DVR already stuck with dozens of movies and TV shows I'd rather not have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts