AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased the moving sale from Ascend Acoustics about a month ago and have been having trouble deciding on what sub to pair with them. Currently I'm trying to decide if I want to save the $$$ for a submersive or go with the dual MFW-15 special right now and save a grand, or go even cheaper with a $400 PB12 NSD that's for sale locally. I realize these options are worlds apart, so please help me pick the best fit for my situation.

I understand all the issues surrounding the AV123 madness and don't want to hear about that.

I will be using this setup for 60/40 HT/gaming with no real plans on using it for music. Unfortunately I live in a townhome and therefore I won't be blasting reference levels but I still want to get good performance. I am not an extreme audiophile but I have definitely found myself listening more closely as my equipment has improved. My "HT" is the living room/kitchen/"dining room" combo (dimensions 17x11/13x11/8x8, respectively) with ceilings at ~9'. There is also an open staircase in the corner of the room that leads to the second and third floors. I realize this is a nightmare but its all I got and I'm still damn proud to be a home owner at my age.

Anyways, I'll try to get a sketch of the floor layout up because I'm interested in thoughts on speaker position also, but really I need some BASS since I've been without it for quite a while now. Please help me out and if you guys have suggestions other than these, throw them out I'm still heavy in the research part of my buying process. Budget is ~$2k MAX, preferably WAY closer to $1k. Size and WAF isn't a problem as my wife has been awed by the difference between our old HTIB and the Ascends and realizes that a pretty box doesn't mean ****, it's what is coming out of it.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I'll be done wracking my brain soon and can actually make a purchase

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
As a compromise, why not buy one good sub around $1K which is better than the MFWs but not as good as the Submersive, and if you decide you want more output, you can always get another one later for a complete system that would top even the Submersive. Like say an Epik Phoenix or and ED A7-350. I would guess a Submersive couldn't match two of either of those. Or maybe the SVS PB12 Plus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that I'm really particularly jonesing for the submersive. I have no doubt that it's an excellent product, but it is probably more than I can really use right now. What I'm looking for is a sub that will balance well with the speakers I bought and given the room situation. I certainly like a lot of aspects of the submersive (small footprint, large output, balanced bass) but the price tag is more than I'm willing to part with currently and the realistic part of things is that I'm almost never going to be able to have the chance to truly pump it up like that sub deserves to be allowed to sing.

That's why I'm asking for help is that I've turned these choices over in my head time and time again and keep coming up with different choices on what to buy so I thought I would ask what other's opinions are.

How much is the fact that my room is not closed off at all going to affect the bass?

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenlon /forum/post/16853604

Size and WAF isn't a problem as my wife has been awed by the difference between our old HTIB and the Ascends and realizes that a pretty box doesn't mean ****, it's what is coming out of it.

Interesting. I like this strategy.

For what it's worth, I can't imagine being disappointed with an Epik Dynasty, and at less than $1500 shipped, the price/performance ratio is pretty much what you're after I think. That or a Dragon now, and another Dragon down the road...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.