AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking buy 40" - 42" TV for the gym room.

Unfortunately, there are so many choices out there, and so much information, so it is difficult to make a choice. What makes things even more difficult, is number of opinions about different TV's, plasmas, LEDs.

I'd like to spend in the range of $500 - 800 on this TV.

So, after spending some time, I've set my eyes on three:

- LG Infinia 42LV5500 LED

- Panasonic VIERA TC-L42D30 LED

- Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 Plasma

I don't care much about Wi-Fi, because I will connect LG Blu-Ray with built-in Wi-Fi. So, basically this TV will be used for:

- Netfilx

- Network streaming

- Blu-Ray

Are these TV's are on overkill for my purpose, or just about right?

What are pros and cons? Any big reasons why I should or should not consider either one?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa
I've been looking buy 40" - 42" TV for the gym room.

Unfortunately, there are so many choices out there, and so much information, so it is difficult to make a choice. What makes things even more difficult, is number of opinions about different TV's, plasmas, LEDs.

I'd like to spend in the range of $500 - 800 on this TV.

So, after spending some time, I've set my eyes on three:

- LG Infinia 42LV5500 LED

- Panasonic VIERA TC-L42D30 LED

- Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 Plasma

I don't care much about Wi-Fi, because I will connect LG Blu-Ray with built-in Wi-Fi. So, basically this TV will be used for:

- Netfilx

- Network streaming

- Blu-Ray

Are these TV's are on overkill for my purpose, or just about right?

What are pros and cons? Any big reasons why I should or should not consider either one?

Thank you very much!

I'm not that familiar with the LG model you're referring to but it's still Gold Star to me. I've seen a review of the Panasonic LED in Home Theater Magazine and it's black level performance was lacking. The ST30 will probably trounce the other two in almost every category.

Ian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
I'm not that familiar with the LG model you're referring to but it's still Gold Star to me. I've seen a review of the Panasonic LED in Home Theater Magazine and it's black level performance was lacking. The ST30 will probably trounce the other two in almost every category.

Ian
I too remember them as Gold Star. They did make good microwaves though.

Do you think ST30 would beat both other TVs because it's a plasma, or for other reasons?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa /forum/post/20779541

I too remember them as Gold Star. They did make good microwaves though.

Do you think ST30 would beat both other TVs because it's a plasma, or for other reasons?

Plasma, LCD, what does it matter? It offers a wide viewing angle, deeper blacks, better grey scaling and color accuracy..... It's just a better TV.

Ian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20779664

Plasma, LCD, what does it matter? It offers a wide viewing angle, deeper blacks, better grey scaling and color accuracy..... It's just a better TV.

Ian

I'm no expert, but I guess those are things I would be looking for in a TV: "vewing angle, deeper blacks, better grey scaling and color accuracy". The reason I made reference to Plasma, is because it seems that many people consider plasma to LCD superior because of all those things.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa /forum/post/20780763

I'm no expert, but I guess those are things I would be looking for in a TV: "vewing angle, deeper blacks, better grey scaling and color accuracy". The reason I made reference to Plasma, is because it seems that many people consider plasma to LCD superior because of all those things.

Correct, and the ST30 offers great picture quality for the money.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.