AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first time posting a thread. I need some help or a direction.

I just got a new tv (Sony KDL-46V4100)

Found a good deal on my blu ray player (Sony BDP-S550)

OK, I think its time for me to upgrade my 6 yr old receiver (5.1 channel, I have 5.1 surround at home, not thinking about upgrading to 7.1 at anytime)

I've been out of the loop for a while but trying to catch back up with all the audio formats and decoding, etc.

1. But if I understand it correctly, my blu ray player can decode all the latest and greatest audio formats (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD)?

2. If so, that means that I don't need my new AVR to have that ability, just be able to accept HDMI inputs...is that correct? I notice alot of the new AVRs can take HDMI, but only some label their AVRs as being able to decode DTS-MA, Dolby true-HD etc.

Hopefully someone can help me and let me know if I'm heading down the right track. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR606 as sort of a baseline in terms of options, functionality, etc. Is this overdoing it? Or is this model a good start? Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.