AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have decided to retire my beloved Pioneer Elite HD530 rear projection CRT. I love the picture it provides, but I am wanting to get a bigger image. I have been looking at getting a used JVC RS1 or RS2 or possibly a new Panasonic PT-AE3000. Is the RS2 significantly better (about $1200 difference) between the RS1 and AE3000? My limit is about $4K, so that puts the new RS20 out of the question. The projector will be in my living room, so light control isn't the best, but most of our tv and movie watching is at night. I am leaning towards an elitescreens cinetension screen (either 84" or 92", but I might be able to push it to 100"). I assume I'll need a gray screen, but they also offer a white screen and a high gain screen. I have read up on this forum, but since this is my first front projector, I figured I'd ask you guys, since most of you have probably seen these projectors firsthand.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
Registered
267 Posts
You should also look at the Sony VPL-HW10.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd /forum/post/15523495

I think I have decided to retire my beloved Pioneer Elite HD530 rear projection CRT. I love the picture it provides, but I am wanting to get a bigger image. I have been looking at getting a used JVC RS1 or RS2 or possibly a new Panasonic PT-AE3000. Is the RS2 significantly better (about $1200 difference) between the RS1 and AE3000? My limit is about $4K, so that puts the new RS20 out of the question. The projector will be in my living room, so light control isn't the best, but most of our tv and movie watching is at night. I am leaning towards an elitescreens cinetension screen (either 84" or 92", but I might be able to push it to 100"). I assume I'll need a gray screen, but they also offer a white screen and a high gain screen. I have read up on this forum, but since this is my first front projector, I figured I'd ask you guys, since most of you have probably seen these projectors firsthand.

Thanks again,

Dan

Check out the Epson 6500/7500 if you are going to have ambient light. You can easily find a 6500 well under $4k. It has the brightest output of it's class of projectors and has been reviewed to have the best black levels after the JVC's. I'm ordering mine in tomorrow!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I am really leaning heavily towards a Sony VW100. I have thought about a new VW60 or RS10 as well. Seems like the only limitation on the VW100 is the price of the replacement bulb. However, if it gets me the best picture for my money, I can live with buying a new bulb every 18 months since it's only going to be used for movies and events (Superbowl, US Soccer, etc.).

Dan

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Who told you the vw100 will give you best for the money? With MSRP of $9k and an web price between 5 and 8k, it competes directly with JVC DLA-RS20, or is supposed to compete, but it is speced to 15000:1 on/off contrast using the dynamic iris, while rs20 gets 50000:1 without iris. Given that rs20 has no significant shortcomings in any area (colors, brightness, sharpness are top-notch) I can't really see how the vw100 would make up for the contrast difference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one told me it was the best for my money. Without seeing any of the projectors live, I made those assumptions by reading this forum. I am looking for a film like presentation. I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck, without breaking the bank.

Dan

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well in your budget rs10 is the best as far as I know. It is really an amazing projector by most accounts. vw100 is really a 3 year old model that is pretty much outdated now, pretty good by itself but not competetive with the latest $3k projectors much less those priced similar to it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I am gathering as well, the more I read. I was really hoping to pick up a used projector in the $2000-$2500 range to help keep costs down. The RS10 is about $4k right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts