AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm currently in the process of picking out my receiver. I will be possibly (upon auditioning) going with the eD Cinema line or possibly the a6.t (or something like that), most likely it will be the Cinema tho.

I can't quite wrap my mind around what I want. I've seen and heard what Denons can do. I currently have a TX-SR606 hooked up to my current surround setup. I have mixed feelings about it for sure.

The first receiver that really intrigued me was the AVR-991...right now I can get it for $622 at 6ave...it seems like a decent deal compared to other receivers out there. I like the 7.2 setup idea as i will most likely be getting a 2nd sub and it will make thing easier altho not a big deal. I like the idea of 125w per channel too. I know I could get a pre-amp and get a real amp to put out the power, but my budget definitely doesn't front that sort of bill. I'd really like to stay under $700 and if at all possible under $600. After buying the projector, screen, speakers, cabling, I know I should have budgeted out more for the receiver but we would like to get everything finished by mid October (tearing out everything in the basement and rebuilding).

Amazon Warehouse has the tx-nr808 for $550 for example (like new). HELP!

Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
First off, you can expand any AVR from one to two sub preouts by adding a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable. The 991 simply has an internal splitter.

To lower your AVR expense, consider the newer Denon 2112CI which uses the same Audyssey MultEQ XT and includes networking and Airplay for roughly $200 less than the 991. Call Electronics Expo or AV Science to get their best pricing.

Review post #2 in the XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the new Denon models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20892292

First off, you can expand any AVR from one to two sub preouts by adding a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable. The 991 simply has an internal splitter.

To lower your AVR expense, consider the newer Denon 2112CI which uses the same Audyssey MultEQ XT and includes networking and Airplay for roughly $200 less than the 991. Call Electronics Expo or AV Science to get their best pricing.

Review post #2 in the XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the new Denon models.

I looked at that model and was fairly impressed. My only concern and I wish I understood this more would be the 90w vs 125w. I know the speakers handle quite a bit -- what kind of output change would that be?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20892377

The difference between 90W and 125W is moot except with very loud volume in very large rooms as the average 86db+ speaker is drawing

Thank you for your information!!! I'll go with the 2112ci and after reading up on it I definitely think it is probably the most solid choice. EE = 450 shipped. Now to finish the basement >.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.