AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a retractable screen due to a 3 year old and 1.5 year that could destroy a normal stand alone screen lol. Im looking to buy an epson 7500UB for a projector. Screen size I'd like to be around 100 to 110. I need a suggestion on a screen. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for electric.

Projector will be Ceiling mounted.

Budget, I'd like to keep this under a $1000 for sure. I will spend whatever I need to to get solid quality. I dont wanta be in the position saying, "man I wish I would have bought a better one".

Basement is being finished now, walls I wanta to be a dark color, black, dark browns, dark red, etc. Ceiling is going to be a drop ceiling, but I plan on the ceiling being dark too.

Another question. Are most of these electric screens plug into an outlet or do they get hardwired in?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
An Elitescreen is tensioned and in his price range. However it took me 5 screens before I got a good one :rolleyes. Only to change my mind later to buy an HP Dalite Model C for peanuts.
I still need to sell that Elitescreen. They have one of the worst service departments I've ever dealt with. There's only like 2 guys that work in that department.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I thinking around the right lines of thought here going with a screen that retracts? I have a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old. Is there that big a difference in qaulity from a screen that retracts vs one that is stationary?

·
Registered
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLethal /forum/post/17020050

Am I thinking around the right lines of thought here going with a screen that retracts? I have a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old. Is there that big a difference in qaulity from a screen that retracts vs one that is stationary?

Yes.

Somewhat.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLethal /forum/post/16996859

I need to buy a retractable screen due to a 3 year old and 1.5 year that could destroy a normal stand alone screen lol. Im looking to buy an epson 7500UB for a projector. Screen size I'd like to be around 100 to 110. I need a suggestion on a screen. Thanks for your help.

I hate to ask a stupid question: If you are buying the 7500 (as opposed to 6500), doesn't that mean you are working with an installer (integrator?)? What does he/she recommend? This person can see the room, hopefully asked you a bunch of questions about what you like/want, etc. He/she should also have some experience with the Epson and matching it to the right screen type/texture. That (installer/integrator experience) is much of what you get for the cost difference between the 7500 and 6500.

If what he/she recommends is outside your price range, consider pinning up some blackout cloth for a few months and saving up. You are dropping several thousand dollars on a projector that you will probably replace in a few years (if being on this forum is any indication). If you get the right screen, it'll be the last one you ever need.

Oh, and I agree that an electric retractable is more rugrat friendly than a fixed screen (at least until the older one figures out how remotes work).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/17017746

An Elitescreen is tensioned and in his price range. However it took me 5 screens before I got a good one :rolleyes. Only to change my mind later to buy an HP Dalite Model C for peanuts.
I still need to sell that Elitescreen. They have one of the worst service departments I've ever dealt with. There's only like 2 guys that work in that department.

Sounds like your willing to sell it to the OP for a BIG discount, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I too am just getting into the home theater scene. The more I read the more confused I become. Is the dalite the best screen? and does it come in a fixed screen? my husband will be playing xbox(call of duty to be precise ) and we have a blue ray player, HD satelite, wii, etc. the room will be dark with a ceiling mount projector which we still haven't decided on yet. grrrrr too many choices. We too would like to stay under 1000 , but it's our first one so we don't wnt to be disappointed Any help?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debell /forum/post/17031766

Is the dalite the best screen? and does it come in a fixed screen? ... the room will be dark with a ceiling mount projector ... We too would like to stay under 1000

I'm quite happy with my Da-Lite Cinema Contour fixed frame screen. After discount, it is within your budget. Most people buy the HDTV format, which is 16:9, AKA 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Popular sizes are 100" to 120" (diagonal). I use and love the High Power material, but I would not recommend it with a ceiling mounted projector. With a ceiling mount I would recommend the Cinema Vision material. Here is a link to Da-Lite.

Carada is another good manufacturer of fixed frame screens. They sell directly over the Internet. Here is their link.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got an Elitescreens electric 100" screen. It cost me around $220 shipped on Amazon about two years ago. It still works great and we usually just leave it down but I retract it occasionally. I have it programed to my Harmony remote. The image looks outstanding, although it has developed minor waves that I rarely notice. My wife doesn't know how we lived without it and the projector (Mitsubishi 1000). Unless you demand premium quality, nothing wrong with that, you may consider trying a screen such as this and spending the remaining $780 on a subwoofer
Happy shopping

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just thought I'd throw this out there:

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Tensi...xt169s-106.htm

The manufacturer seems to have crazy good customer service (they're quite active in the screen section) and they have amazing prices on screens. Pretty much every review I've seen has been "It's an awesome screen" or "I had a defective screen and got crazy good customer service. New one is being shipped out right now"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.