AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I just bought a house, and we're trying to get things setup before we move in. The layout of this house is weird, I'm not gonna lie, it just doesn't seem to make much sense. We're making it worse by adding a random wall opening to help make the rooms flow a little better, but I'm trying.

The room itself is fairly large. 15 wide, by 32 long, with 12(?) foot ceilings. We'll be taking up a small portion of the room for a dining room, and then maybe ~ 3/5 of the room for a "living room" area, where we'll be sticking the home theater setup.

The room in question:

And where we'll be sticking the TV along with our primary viewing position:

The major limiting factors for me, is that the wife isn't feeling the floor-standing speakers at all, so we're going with whatever we can have mounted. I've already had speaker wire run, basically using the corners as a baseline.. they're 105" from the center of that wall, so I ran wires 105" to the other side as well, both front and back. These speaker wire is all run along the ceiling, and hidden behind the crown molding. Hence wanting speakers that I can mount.

With all that being said, I'm at a loss here as to what to get. I've got an older Yamaha 8" powered sub that will work for now. Now I'm trying to figure out what speakers will help fill this room with sound, without sounding awful. I went to Best Buys Magnolia store, just to at least hear a few things. First off, I heard the Definitive Technology's Pro Cinema 600 setup. For ~700 bucks, this thing sounded pretty awesome. However, we're in a small room back there, so I'm not sure how well it conveys to a larger room. Based solely on the sound of that, I wouldn't be averse to stepping up to the Pro Cinema 1000, which is 4 Promonitor 1000s, a Procenter 1000, and a Prosub 1000. Not too bad for ~$1300.

The next setup we heard, were some Martin Logans. I was actually blown away with the sound these things produced. Motion 4's up front, Motion 2s in the back, and a Motion 6 in the center. These sounded way more full than the DefTechs, but not too surprising since they only had the small 600s running. While listening to the martin logans, I felt like I could pick up all the subtle nuances and sounds, where as with the Def Techs, they all kinda blended together. This setup, not counting the sub, would run me ~1100. I can always use my current sub to fill the void for now, until I step up to a bigger one.

That's where I'm at right now.. I know it's only Best Buys Magnolia nonsense, but it's my point of reference for now.

I'd like to keep the cost for all 5 speakers somewhere around the $1,000-$1,200 mark if possible. Also wondering if it makes sense to go 6.1, and have the installers drop one more line before they seal up the crown molding?

We watch a fair amount of TVs, listen to a lot of music, movies, and video games. Basically, this room is going to get used for a lot of different purposes.

Any thoughts our recommendations are much appreciated!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, after doing a lot of research, I've successfully confused the **** out of myself! KEF KHT3005 for $900? Maybe! 4 Cambridge S30s for $450 plus whatever center and sub? A very big maybe. Definitives Procinema 1000 is starting to look more and more appealing too, but its $1300, and it seems I can do better for that price?

I'm also trying to figure out if Monoprices generic speaker mounts are good enough, or if I should jump on some OmniMount 10.0s for these. Or maybe those cool ass VideoSecu sidemount mounts? Damn.

Anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations for me?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One last bump on this with an update..

I found a set of Open Box Martin Logans for sale the other day, so I scooped them up. 2 Motion 4s for the fronts, 2 Motion 2s for the rears, and a Motion 8 center. I already have a janky sub that will work for now, but I'll eventually replace that with something better.

With that being said, I'm still not sure if that's the best choice for a room this size. However, I'm not sure anything will ever be truly sufficient when balanced with the wife factor of not wanting "huge ugly speakers everywhere".

I've got 2 weeks or so to test out the MLs.. not a ton of time... and with the house not really being ready yet, I'm going to have to do it in my current apartment living room.

With that being said, are there any other options that would fit in the wall/ceiling 'mountable' bookshelf category that will at least be a step up from the usual satellite systems in terms of sound quality, loudness, etc, but without being "huge and ugly"?

Thanks for the input guys..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts