AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on centralising all of my components and distributing the video and audio to 4 zones in my house. Sources will be HD cable PVR, HD cable box, Blu-Ray player, HTPC.

I will be using baluns to connect component video and SPDIF audio over CAT5e to a TV and AV receiver in each zone.

I will probably use a 4x4 component matrix switch for the audio and video distribution.

I would like to have a universal learning (Harmony) remote in each room that can control the local TV and receiver as well as the four shared sources in the basement.

I think RF is the way to go, I don't want to wire in IR receivers in each room. From the sounds of it, the Harmony 890 Pro is what I would need for this type of system. As I understand, one of the remotes is a "master" and knows the state of all devices so that one remote can't turn off a device if it is in use by another user in a different zone. Also, I understand that all four remotes can share the same RF extender that would be installed in the equipment cabinet in the basement.

Is there any other way I can use multiple RF remotes to control this type of system?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You answered your own question. YOu need a control system - In my opinion Harmony is not a control system. A control system consists of a single to multiple remotes that are communicating with a brain, or processor. When I send a command from any remote it will go through the processor first. That way, if remote #3 does something to change the system, that change can be reflected in the processor so when remote #2 does something it can check the processer for "what's going on?"

I simplified the process somewhat, but you need something more powerful for this type of system. I would reccomend depending on your budget the following:

Junior System:

MSC-400 with MX-880's, or M-900's or or MX-980 (or mix)

Intermediate System:

RTI RP-6 with RTI T1Bs, or RTI T2Bs, or RTI T2CS's (or mix)

Advanced System

AMX (contact me for more information) OR

RTI XP-8 with RTI T2C (not "S"), or T3-Vs (or mix)

These are control systems, not remote controls. The macros are built into the processor making for a more reliable experience, but more importantly the processor is the central part of the system or "brain".

Good Luck,

Vincent
www.totalcontrolremotes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygy /forum/post/16987863

I am planning on centralising all of my components and distributing the video and audio to 4 zones in my house. Sources will be HD cable PVR, HD cable box, Blu-Ray player, HTPC.

I will be using baluns to connect component video and SPDIF audio over CAT5e to a TV and AV receiver in each zone.

I will probably use a 4x4 component matrix switch for the audio and video distribution.

I would like to have a universal learning (Harmony) remote in each room that can control the local TV and receiver as well as the four shared sources in the basement.

I think RF is the way to go, I don't want to wire in IR receivers in each room. From the sounds of it, the Harmony 890 Pro is what I would need for this type of system. As I understand, one of the remotes is a "master" and knows the state of all devices so that one remote can't turn off a device if it is in use by another user in a different zone. Also, I understand that all four remotes can share the same RF extender that would be installed in the equipment cabinet in the basement.

Is there any other way I can use multiple RF remotes to control this type of system?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.