AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a 52 inch display for a very bright room. A little history... We started off with a 27 inch Sony CRT when we moved into the house. Even with all curtains and blinds shut, the TV was unwatchable due to glare.

Bought a 60 inch Sony SXRD rear projection. This was much better, but it is still difficult to watch dark material during the day.

The wife wants a flat panel that we can hid in a lift cabinet. I initially ruled out plasma because of the potential for glare. I similarly ruled out Samsung because of their coatings. This pretty much just left me with the Sony XBR9. When I checked out the XBR9 in the store, I saw an unacceptable amount of motion artifacts. I'm not sure if that's because the set was on Torch mode.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a flat panel with the least amount of motion artifacts while taking the issue of glare into account?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
go back and adjust the MotionFlow motion enhancement settings, including to OFF, which many do, and see what you think

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16945920

go back and adjust the MotionFlow motion enhancement settings, including to OFF, which many do, and see what you think

Actually, I did adjust the motion flow, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm not sure if it's possible a bad feed could lead to more motion artifacting, or if I am expecting too much of LCD technology (compared to LCOS rear-projection).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harync /forum/post/16950851

Actually, I did adjust the motion flow, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm not sure if it's possible a bad feed could lead to more motion artifacting, or if I am expecting too much of LCD technology (compared to LCOS rear-projection).

Probably a bad feed. Sony typically has very good decoding and picture control. In you typical big box store they will have the same feed running on allot of sets and the connections and the strength of the feed is compromised most of the time.

I would see if they are willing to let you hook a upscaling dvd or a Bluray player to it and watch it then. That way you can choose a movie with scenes that may test the limits of your home viewing area and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd suggest the Mitsubishi LT-52149. It uses a matte screen. In terms of picture quality its going to be a little better than the 52XBR6. You can adjust the settings on the 52XBR9 to turn the motion flow down or off but if you aren't using the 240hz then you spent way more money than you need to in the first place. In my stores I have everything running off HDMI cable with Blu-Ray and HD Cable. Sometimes the motion on the XBR9 can seem a little cartoon like in 240hz though.

The LT-52149 uses a 6 color processor instead of Sony's 3 color processor.

The LT-52149 uses a 120hz processor instead of the 240hz processor.

The LT-52149 uses a matte screen instead of are glossy screen.

The LT-52149 uses a 16 speaker full surround sound which can be calibrated to the dimensions of your room, where your tv is, and where you sit. There is no extra wires for home theater sound. All other TVs use a standard 2 speaker LCD sound which is crap.

The LT-52149 for a limited time will come with a $400 wireless polk subwoofer for free.

Other than that their specs are pretty similar, same input/output, both 10 bit panel, both very high pq, etc. The Panels of the XBR6, XBR9, and Mitsubishi actually all come from the same place, Samsung's factory.

Currently the KDL52XBR9 is going to cost you at a minimum of $2229 if you buy it from Amazon or something, most of whom are likely not a authorized retailer. I can get you the LT-52149 for almost $300 less with the free sub.

Given the fact that you want to have it rise from a lift you can still have great sound quality, and it has a matte finish which will reduce glare, the same or better picture quality and at a lower price seems like a very big win win.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsun947 /forum/post/16951953

I'd suggest the Mitsubishi LT-52149. It uses a matte screen. In terms of picture quality its going to be a little better than the 52XBR6. You can adjust the settings on the 52XBR9 to turn the motion flow down or off but if you aren't using the 240hz then you spent way more money than you need to in the first place. In my stores I have everything running off HDMI cable with Blu-Ray and HD Cable. Sometimes the motion on the XBR9 can seem a little cartoon like in 240hz though.

The LT-52149 uses a 6 color processor instead of Sony's 3 color processor.

The LT-52149 uses a 120hz processor instead of the 240hz processor.

The LT-52149 uses a matte screen instead of are glossy screen.

The LT-52149 uses a 16 speaker full surround sound which can be calibrated to the dimensions of your room, where your tv is, and where you sit. There is no extra wires for home theater sound. All other TVs use a standard 2 speaker LCD sound which is crap.

The LT-52149 for a limited time will come with a $400 wireless polk subwoofer for free.

Other than that their specs are pretty similar, same input/output, both 10 bit panel, both very high pq, etc. The Panels of the XBR6, XBR9, and Mitsubishi actually all come from the same place, Samsung's factory.

Currently the KDL52XBR9 is going to cost you at a minimum of $2229 if you buy it from Amazon or something, most of whom are likely not a authorized retailer. I can get you the LT-52149 for almost $300 less with the free sub.

Given the fact that you want to have it rise from a lift you can still have great sound quality, and it has a matte finish which will reduce glare, the same or better picture quality and at a lower price seems like a very big win win.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Mitsubishi. I see from the Abt website that they don't carry it anymore, but will soon have a replacement. I will have to go to the Abt showroom to compare Mitsubishi to the Samsung mentioned above. One thing I forgot to mention was a size requirement. The set should be no bigger than 50" by 30". I'm not sure how much tolerance I have for the height, but the Mitsubishi might be way over. Since I'll be using a 5.1 system for sound, I'm not too worried about a sound bar anyway. I also see that sharp has matte screens. Based on comments in this forum I think they may have something new at CEDIA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.