AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help figuring out which antenna I should get for HDTV reception. I have been searching to board, but I really haven't found any real recomendations.

Here is what I currently an thinking about getting. It is a Radio Shack Long-Range Antenna with 160" Long Dual Boom, Model # Model: VU-190 XR.

So here is the scoop. I live in San Rafael, CA., which is in Marin. To be more specific, it is Marinwood. Cell phone's only started working several years ago in this area. I don't know how good reception will be. I am thinking that I need to go with a roof top antenna. I tried a Terk TV-55 inside the house and it didn't work. I was just trying to see if I could get a reception. Please give me some suggestions on what I should be looking for. I am sure that the antenna needs to be pointing somewhere, but what direction? Toward Sutro tower ( I believe that is where the digital signals will be coming from)?

My current system is a Mitsubishi 73711 with built in HDTV tuner. I also have DirecTivo (2 of them) but I don't have HDTV through DirecTV.

Thanks for all your help and wisdom on this.

Ron Aguilar

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you would get more help if you posted your location in the title. I only ended up reading your post because I clicked on it by mistake. Checking posts like this is usually a waste of time and so few people bother to look. Now if your post was titled, "Need help with OTA antenna in Marinwood CA," I believe you would get more qualified looks and certainly more qualified suggestions.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address/zipcode. It will list all the local TV stations and mark the digital ones and list their color-coded signal level and pointing direction. List what you get here and then we can recommend an antenna for you. The Terk is uesless so that is why it didn't work, especially inside.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
you must post distances, line of sight..between your home and transmitter towers. The more info you give here, the better your questions can be answered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here is what I found... It looks as if I should go with lt green or a blue. I am worried that I am in a little valley with some hills around. I don't know how far I am away from the transmitter tower, but I do know that San Francisco is less than 20 miles but across the golden gate bridge.

Digital

* yellow KTNC-DT 63 AZA Concord CA Mar 1 2003 91°

* green KFTL-DT 62 SAH Stockton CA May 1 2004 92°

* lt green KBWB-DT 19 WB San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* lt green KGO-DT 24 ABC San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* lt green KPIX-DT 29 CBS San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* lt green KQED-DT 30 PBS San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* lt green KMTP-DT 33 IND San Francisco CA May 1 2003 150°

* lt green KCNS-DT 39 SAH San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* lt green KCSM-DT 43 PBS San Mateo CA May 1 2003 150°

green KFTL 64 SAH Stockton CA 91°

blue KTVU 2 FOX Oakland CA 150°

blue KRON 4 IND San Francisco CA 150°

blue KPIX 5 CBS San Francisco CA 150°

blue KGO 7 ABC San Francisco CA 150°

blue KQED 9 PBS San Francisco CA 150°

* blue KRCB-DT 23 PBS Cotati CA Jan 1 2003 340°

* blue KTSF-DT 27 IND San Francisco CA Now Live 151°

* blue KFSF-DT 34 TFA Vallejo CA May 1 2003 150°

* blue KKPX-DT 41 PAX San Jose CA Now Live 151°

blue KTNC 42 AZA Concord CA 91°

* blue KBHK-DT 45 UPN San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

* blue KTLN-DT 47 IND Novato CA Now Live 326°

* blue KSTS-DT 49 TEL San Jose CA Now Live 120°

* blue KDTV-DT 51 UNI San Francisco CA Now Live 120°

* blue KICU-DT 52 IND San Jose CA Now Live 121°

* blue KTVU-DT 56 FOX Oakland CA Now Live 150°

* blue KRON-DT 57 IND San Francisco CA Now Live 150°

violet KBWB 20 WB San Francisco CA 150°

* violet KOVR-DT 25 CBS Stockton CA Now Live 61°

* violet KQCA-DT 46 WB Stockton CA May 1 2003 60°

Thanks for any help.

Ron Aguilar

PS. I tried to change the title, but it didn't do it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ron,

Delorme makes a 'puter program called "Topo USA" - it was like $40 (just buy your region). Buy it. Then go to ( http://www.100000watts.com/ ) and get the lat/lon of all your stations, antenna heights, and your home lat/lon. Using Topo, do the plots and you'll see what you can get. I live 25-30 miles from both Baltimore and DC. Using this method predicted that I could get Baltimore but not DC because of the geography. That's what happened after I put up the antenna. Good luck. HNick

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's been the experience of several of our viewers that the Radio Shack antenna won't work for you with the UHF channels above about 50. A pity because they are so convenient to find. Buy a Winegard or Channel Master.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I agree with Gary. The radio shack antennas are OK, but if you can go with a channel master or windgard. Also, take a look at the televes dat75. Just do a search on it on this forum and lots of people like it. Be warned, it is UHF only.

tim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello Ron, I have the antenna you are thinking about buying, the Model: VU-190 XR. I live in NJ about 30 miles outside NYC. This antenna works fine. I myself beg to differ with [email protected], I have had no problems getting channels above 50. I now get the weak signal from PBS which a has just recently come online with a 100 watt transmitter at levels avg 75 to 80. I am very happy with my purchase, very cost effective, convenient and the reception all around is great!!

Radio Shack even has a larger model, the VU-210XR, item #150-2157, but I think it is either a special order or it is no longer in production.

Again I am very happy with my Radio Shack purchase and performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a ChannelMaster StealthTenna 3010...I tried a lot of antennas, including the Radio Shack model you mention. The StealthTenna 3010, coupled with a Motorola Signal Booster from Best Buy ($90.), pulled in more stations than the Radio Shack with or without the booster. I also tried a Terk, and it was useless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided not to mess around with trying several antennas. So I am having someone come up next Thursday. He will check to see if I have a strong enough signal. If so, he will install a Winegard antenna. I will let everyone know the results next week.

Ron A.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.