AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving this week and will be setting up a new home theater system. My question is, is there a difference in optical cables or are they all the same? I read some reviews on HDMI cables and it said brands or price didn't make a difference in the function of the cable. I was just wondering if the same applies to optical cables. Thanks in advance for any insight and thoughts you may have on this!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovan /forum/post/15544472

Hi all,

I am moving this week and will be setting up a new home theater system. My question is, is there a difference in optical cables or are they all the same? I read some reviews on HDMI cables and it said brands or price didn't make a difference in the function of the cable. I was just wondering if the same applies to optical cables. Thanks in advance for any insight and thoughts you may have on this!

Just try to get a well-built cable. Some of the really cheap ones don't click into equipment well and fall out, and/or are thin enough to easily get caught up and crimped.

Signal quality-wise, most cables should be fine at 12' in my experience.

P.S. I disagree about HDMI cable. In my experience, I've had worse luck with HDMI. I've had several HDMI cables that were problematic in terms of signal reliability, even at short runs. ie. Some cheap HDMI cables suck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! When I hook things up this weekend, I will shop for cables with the best connectors.

As far as HDMI cables go, I didn't want to overspend if I don't have to. Thanks for sharing your experiences and that is something I will keep in mind when purchasing them.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
For the record, I find that most HDMI cables are fine for short runs. I've have had a couple that didn't work reliably however. And for longer runs, signal problems are quite commonly reported.

OTOH, with optical cables, every single one I've tried has worked no matter how cheap it's been... until it's fallen out or got bent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts