AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I heard great things about the place, and even saw this site mentioned on cnet, which says a lot about how respectable this site is. Anyway, I'm not sure what forum to ask this question in, so I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I'm looking to buy my very first HDTV. Yes, I've been a SD guy my entire life until hopefully now. I don't have the highest budget(which is one of the reasons I've never bought an HDTV), but now I have enough money. I've narrowed my choices down to two TVs. One is a plasma and one is an LED.

I read a lot about the differences between both these two specific TVs and Plasma vs LED generally. But being that I've never used an HDTV before, I tend to want to ask people who have all the experience. I can read as much as I want, but until I get my own experience, I'll be making the opinion of a novice.

Anyway, I play a lot of video games, watch a lot of sports, and movies. That is pretty much what I use my TV for.

The two TVs I narrowed down to were:

1. Panasonic TC-P50G25

2. Sony Bravia 52NX800

I would only be paying about $1,200 for the second one. I tried to post URLs to the TVs so you could see them, but it would not let me. But I'm sure you guys know these TVs already this this is a really big community that knows a lot.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Why not 60" LG 60pk250/550. Both should be in your price range. Or one of the 58" Samsungs. I would go big since none of the sets currently out there are perfect and you're just going to end up getting a larger, better set for less money a few years down the road rate things are going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. The reason I have not chosen a bigger set, is this TV is for an apartment that is quite small and a super large screen would really dominate the room and make me have to reorganize it. I didn't want to go larger than 52 inches.

I'm always open to suggestions. Hopefully one that isn't above $1200, but I really liked what I saw from these TVs. I'm just torn. I really just want a nice looking picture to watch sports in, but also have a great time playing video games with my TV as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssassin /forum/post/19629608

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason I have not chosen a bigger set, is this TV is for an apartment that is quite small and a super large screen would really dominate the room and make me have to reorganize it. I didn't want to go larger than 52 inches.

I'm always open to suggestions. Hopefully one that isn't above $1200, but I really liked what I saw from these TVs. I'm just torn. I really just want a nice looking picture to watch sports in, but also have a great time playing video games with my TV as well.

Well...

To be perfectly honest, you can search every flatscreen television you can find (in a 50" screen size) for approx. $1200...and you won't find a better overall performer than the Panasonic you listed earlier.

Specific reasons I decided to buy my Panasonic G-series Plasma 1080p HDTV...

Deep pure black levels (best of any flatscreen television on the market in my opinion), rich accurate colors with NO BLOOMING (many LCD/LED flat screens have an issue with this), excellent picture even with off-angle viewing (the picture quality of LCD/LED televisions tend to drop off significantly when viewed off-center) Tons of digital & analog inputs on the rear and side panels of the Panasonic as well.

The G-series plasmas also have an anti-reflective screen filter that reduces glare, improves the contrast ratio, and most importantly...it improves the picture quality if and when you watch television WITH ALL THE LIGHTS ON. The most surprising thing that I found when I was searching for the best flat screen tv 6-months ago, was how many of them would wash out when any room light was present. That was an eye-opener for me. Some flat screen televisions looked very good in a dark (or low-light level) room...but they looked absolutely HORRIBLE when you view them with the lights on. (the picture washes out and the colors look drab)

The Panasonic G-series and VT-series flat screens look very good regardless of whether you have the lights on or off. There aren't many flat screens (regardless of cost) that can pull that off...

P.S. If you can find a better television for 1200 bux ...please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spend most of my TV time gaming, and I have to say I am very concerned about burn-in for plasmas. I read countless articles that it is significantly improved, but at the same time I have also read a bunch of people on review sites, and TV forums claiming they have image retention.

I also read a lot of horror stories about people's plasmas dying on them within the first couple months. Not necessarily burn-in or image retention related. Just general things that their TVs don't turn on anymore.

The picture quality I hear about with plasmas have me excited, but the complaints I read about worry me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The old plasma "image burn-in" fear hasn't been an issue for several years now...

Plasma technology has progressed quite a bit over the past ten years. It certianly isn't the latest technology out there (that would be L.E.D), but that's actually a good thing.

Here why I believe that...

Plasma flat screen televisions are (by a healthy margin) the best overall display technology on the market today. You'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise. It's without question the most MATURE display technology that money can buy. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been invested in improving the overall performance of plasma televisions over the years. (by more than a dozen different major brands) The performance, reliability, and the price point of plasma televisions has been improved over the years. It's a solid performer in every aspect. There are no glaring 'holes' in the current state-of-the-art Plasma televisions. (minor imperfections at best)

Keep this in mind...

No flat screen technology is 100% perfect, but modern plasmas have fewer weaknesses than any other flat screen display technology out there. (fact)

Especially compared tp L.E.D. or L.C.D. based flat screen televisions...

Just my .02

·
Registered
86 Posts
One other thing...

The whole hysteria about flat screen televisions blowing up or dying is overhyped on the net. It's really not THAT bad.

I used to work for Circuit City, and we rarely got a returned flat screen set due to an unexpected failure within the first few weeks or months. (once installed in a fixed location in someone's home)

Yes, it happened every so often, but it wasn't like there were people coming in every day with defective flat screen that just stopped working.

Now I will tell you this...

Every flatscreen that I have ever seen is very suseptible to shock/vibration/impact damage. Every model, every brand. You simply cannot drop these things on a hard floor or concrete without expecting some damage. (even while they still in the original box) This where I suspect the damage is actually done in most of flat screen television sets. (that was returned to the store)

I am actually surprised that any of these flat screen televisions (Plasma, LED or LCD) sets survive the trip from the factory warehouse in these big 18-wheeler trucks that have very poor (stiff) suspensions. If you've ever seen the inside of one of these flat screen tv's, you'd understand how a rough ride could cause havoc with the internal electronics. They are all chock full of circuit boards, miles of thin wiring, and an a ton plastic pieces thoughout. (it doesn't matter what brand you buy) They cannot be handled too roughly, because there isn't much margin for error. (they are all pretty fragile)

The failure rate is actually pretty low. (all things considered)

It could easily be a LOT worse...

Putting that aside for the moment, you cannot look at these flat screen televisions in the same way you would a big screen rear-projection television (or an old school CRT-based television), built in the early 2000's. You should look at the current flat screen televisions more like light bulb that has a FINITE LIFE SPAN. You should not expect the same life expectancy we grew accustomed to with the previous generation of television display technologies.

You need to understand that none of these flat panel televisions is destined to survive for 10+ years with daily use. (10-18+ hours a day, 24-7-365)

If you accept that fact upfront...then you have the correct mindset going forward. If you actually expect anything approaching 8-10 years of reliable, 100% trouble-free operation with any flat screen television...then you are diluting yourself big time. (not gonna happen)

These display devices are loaded (stuffed) with more electronic components per square inch than you can possibly imagine.

Buy a set, get the 3-4 year warranty (because if it breaks, you're going to wish you did!), place it on solid tv stand or wall mount, and plug it into a decent surge protector. (did I mention that flat screen televisions are more suseptible to damage from voltage and current spikes?)

That's another good reason to get it repaired on someone else's dime...

The overwhelming odds suggest that repairing a 46"-55" flat screen television (out of warranty) will cost you a fortune. Repair costs of 500-700 bucks for parts and labor is not uncommon. And that's on the LOW side of the estimates that I've seen first hand. I rarely see a "cheap" repair bill when these sets go kaput. Be smart and buy the extended warranty. (another no brainer)

Flat screen televisions are not in the same category (from a reliability standpoint) when compared to virtually any other piece of consumer electronics.

Remember, it doesn't matter what flat screen brand you buy...my statement applies to all.

I'm not trying to depress or discourage you, I just believe in telling people the WHOLE truth. (not a heavily edited version)

I didn't buy a flat screen plasma television for a long time, because of what I've seen from the inside. (sales)

Technology never goes backwards. It only marches forward. So at some point, you eventually have to take your chances and buy something.

The only thing you can really do to improve your odds...is to buy the best product that you can afford. (within your target price range)

BTW: I doubt any retail salesman in an electronics store would ever be honest enough to tell you any of this...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much are warranties at Best Buy?

Also, do they allow you to return and buy the warranty after purchase if you can't afford it at the time of purchase? I don't know if I could if they run 200 dollars more. I am really tight this holiday season financially.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssassin /forum/post/0

I looked at that TV, but regrettably, I can't afford it with my current budget. It is almost double the price for the same size.

I understand, I will definitely save some money and buy it. Anyway, another set that you may look is the LG 50PK950 that's a sweet tv, sexy design. But if you want 3D the LG 50PX950 is 3D ready. And I believe the price is around of what you have so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssassin /forum/post/19629845

How much are warranties at Best Buy?

Also, do they allow you to return and buy the warranty after purchase if you can't afford it at the time of purchase? I don't know if I could if they run 200 dollars more. I am really tight this holiday season financially.

It depends on the price of the flat screen television you want to buy...

For a 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV that sells for $1000-$1200, it will only cost you about $200-$250 for 4yrs. parts and labor. Thats cheap compared to some other stores who want 300-400 for a 4yr. warranty. $400 would make me rethink getting a warranty. $200 would not.

The product warranty at Best Buy is really good because you don't have to deal with the manufacturer on your own. (which can be a pain in the butt)

Best Buy takes just takes care of it, since the warranty is their own in-store coverage. Their warranty plan covers all parts and labor costs to repair your product in the event it fails due to a factory defect, internal overheating, power surges, yada, yada, yada...

I'm not sure if you have the option to wait until later on to buy the warranty.

I can't remember if the guy I bought my G20 from at Best Buy told me you could or you couldn't. I remember something about 30 days, but I'm not 100% sure about that...

I don't want to tell you they allow that option, when they actually don't.

You should just call your local Best Buy today and ask them about their warranty options for flat screen tv's.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/19629600

Why not 60" LG 60pk250/550. Both should be in your price range. Or one of the 58" Samsungs. I would go big since none of the sets currently out there are perfect and you're just going to end up getting a larger, better set for less money a few years down the road rate things are going.

I picked up the 60pk550 last July within your budget. The extra 10" of screen size will absolutely stomp any PQ differences between the 50" sets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I decided I'm going to wait a bit to pick my TV. But I have a question. The Panasonic TV I was interested in and the LG TV listed here are pretty cheap. Right around $1000. Is that because of holiday deals or are they always that price now?

I don't want to wait until say Feb. to decide and then see the prices to those sets jump to $1600.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssassin /forum/post/19631703

I think I decided I'm going to wait a bit to pick my TV. But I have a question. The Panasonic TV I was interested in and the LG TV listed here are pretty cheap. Right around $1000. Is that because of holiday deals or are they always that price now?

I don't want to wait until say Feb. to decide and then see the prices to those sets jump to $1600.

Thanks

There will be new models in 2011 and 2010 models with drop in price as they're cleared out to make way for new inventory. Happens every year... except in regards to kuros because people seem willing to pay stupid prices for them now. Hell, I'm even considering selling mine and just getting a couple 60"ers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts