AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a theater room and don't really know what to get. Room is 14' x 7' tall x 40' long, part of it will be game room. Flat part of the ceiling is 100" wide. The only window will be covered with the screen down. I am thinking about $6k for projector and 7.2 system.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalminer1 /forum/post/19600750

I am building a theater room and don't really know what to get. Room is 14' x 7' tall x 40' long, part of it will be game room. Flat part of the ceiling is 100" wide. The only window will be covered with the screen down. I am thinking about $6k for projector and 7.2 system.

I can't speak to 7.2 systems as this is the wrong subforum for that (and I'm biased toward Denon).

Are you planning to mount the projector on the ceiling or do you want it on a table?

How close do you plan to sit to the screen?

How large of a screen do you want?

Do you have any experience with DLP TVs or Projectors (read up on the Rainbow Effect a.k.a. RBE if you aren't familiar)?

How important is the loudness (audible noise) of a projector to you?

Are you looking for 3D-capability now or no?

Are you wanting 1080p or an LED-based projector (none are 1080p yet)?

These are things you need to think about (and answer) to get more help from the very helpful folks here... I'm a newbie here, but have learned quite a bit just reading the various posts. Everyone will tell you that the Search button is your friend

Ben

·
Registered
840 Posts
The suggestions you receive will be arbitrary at best until you provide more information. You'll find folks here very helpful when given details. You really need to determine what is most important to you. For some they would spend all their $$ on a great projector and screen and then spend $400 on a HTIB surround system. Some (like me) consider sound as important or more important than the picture and will spend a greater percentage on audio.

So using that I would spend ~$1200 on a PJ like the Epson 8350 (1080P LCD) and $200 on a BR player and that would leave me $4500 for audio. If you factor in around $1000 for a good 7.1 AVR like a Dennon or Yamaha, you would have $3500 or so for speakers which would buy you significant performance. Remember....of all the gear you buy....the speakers will last the longest and not need to be upgraded as often as projectors or other electronics. Also don't forget to factor in a few hundred $$ on acoustic treatment for your room.

Again....the more we know about your room...the more input you will get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Projector will be on the ceiling. I am thinking that the projector will be about 13' from screen. I have 100" rough opening for an easy install on the screen so what ever size is best. Not into 3d as of now. I was thinking about $2500 or so for projector and screen if that is enough. It will be a dark room. I just don't know what kind of screen to get. The projector, i just want to be happy with it, don't know much about them. Watched an epson and mitsubishi. Both seemed good.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalminer1
Projector will be on the ceiling. I am thinking that the projector will be about 13' from screen. I have 100" rough opening for an easy install on the screen so what ever size is best. Not into 3d as of now. I was thinking about $2500 or so for projector and screen if that is enough. It will be a dark room. I just don't know what kind of screen to get. The projector, i just want to be happy with it, don't know much about them. Watched an epson and mitsubishi. Both seemed good.
$2500 on projector + screen?! You're going to spend the rest on a 7.2 system? Man... that system better blow the knickers off your lady(ies)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts