AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new 40xbr800 this past weekend. Hooked up to standard analog cable, the picture is fair at best. The set has run for about 15 hours and I have not made any adjustments to it. Due to the position of the cable outlet in the wall, 16 ft of standard coaxial cable is required to to bring the end of the coaxial to the back of the set(the tv is about 8 feet from the cable outlet in the wall and there is about 8 feet of extra that could be trimmed off). I think this 16' of coaxial cable is contributing to the relative poor picture on the set. The cable company in my area will not be rolling out digital cable until 8 or 9 more months. Therefore, I am thinking about making the jump to satellite—hopefully they can install a new outlet closer to the tv upon their free installation or otherwise improve the very average picture quality of the set.

What is a good DVD player under $700 for the 40XBR800? I think I have narrowed down my choices to the Pioneer DV-45A, Sony DVP-NS900v or Toshiba SD9000. Which one would be best to pair up with a 40XBR800? Picture quality is most important, followed by sound. I would like to spend less than $700.

Recap

#1. Any advice as to how to improve my picture quality? Is it the analog cable? Is the coaxial from the wall cable outlet to the cable box (16’) too long? Is satellite the best for picture clarity?

#2. What is a good DVD player under $700 for 40XBR800?

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my questions. I spent good money for this set and want to make sure I get the most out of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Quote:
Hooked up to standard analog cable, the picture is fair at best.
Not surprising. Blow up a bad signal to 40 inches, and it will look bad.

Quote:
I think this 16' of coaxial cable is contributing to the relative poor picture
Very unlikely. Not unless the cable is grossly defective. It's the analog cable signal.

Quote:
What is a good DVD player under $700?
The Pioneer 45A is currently the only player that handles both DVD-Audio and SACD formats, if that's important to you. There's a review in this month's Sound & Vision magazine. The only thing I dislike about Pioneer equipment is the word ELITE in big gold letters, but that's just me.

If picture quality is really the primary concern, get the Panasonic DVD-RP82. Has the superior Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip. The only problem is it's only $200. What will you do with that extra $500? ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
also call your cable company out to make sure your getting a good signal, if it's weak have them streghten it with an amplifier (or what ever they use), Joe.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Hello neighbor a PA man here. Your cable company is full of it, all it takes is old fashioned Fiber-Optic cable. We have had F.O. cable since 1983. I have Digital Choice from sectv.com since June 2, 2001

before that I have had sectv since 1985 when my career went down the drain because of road accident.

As for DVD I like my Toshiba SD-4800 it's progressive scan and does DVD-A. The reason I went for it is that you can zoom up plain jane 2.35:1 letterbox, for bigger vertical picture; yet I can retain the black bars for a wide screen view. The DVD player sells for less than $200. to find my cable company just add the 3 www in front of the above you can pick digital choice. I am within 7 miles of the Jersey border near Phillipsburg which is central NJ as my town is in central PA.

Look to see if they service your town, we have 2 cable systems here the other one is RCN of Dallas, PA. Digital does not need digital cable I have a 1080i pick on my pay channels, I leave the too many spam channels be, not bad $38.47 per month for all of HBO and Cinemax. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have CableVision--which is having $$$ problems. They won't be supllying our area with the more expensive digital boxes for at least 8 months. The cable line itself is fiber optic and will support digial cable--they just don't want to spend the $$$ for the households b/c rumor has it they are looking to be acquired.

As for dvd players, I am leaning towards the Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Is anyone familiar with this unit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Another vote for the Panny RP-82. I've got my 40XBR800 coming later this week hopefully. DVD-A capability and so far I am very happy with the interlaced picture quality. Is SACD really worth the extra $$ for you?? Just because something costs more doesn't make it better. The only hang up for me with the Panny was that it only comes in silver. But, I couldn't justify buying something else just because I thought the outside was ugly.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another option is the Panasonic CP72 changer. Same electronics as the RP82, except the CP72 only has optical digital out, not coax.

I was going to get the RP82, but my wife wanted a changer, and the CP82 comes in black, and it was only $170 after rebate...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a sony digital mv camcorder and digital camera and want to start burning these images onto dvd(or is it cd?) via computer. Will the rp82 play these? If so, I will definitely get it based upon the reviews provided here.

Thank you.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The RP82/CP72 will play:

DVD-RAM

DVD-Audio

DVD-Video

DVD-R

Video CD (VCD)

CD

CD-R

CD-RW

CD-WMA

CD-MP3

You'll probably burn your video to VCD or DVD-R, so you're covered.

It won't play:

PAL video discs

DVD-ROM

DVD-RW

DVD+RW

Divx

CD-ROM

CDV

CD-G

SVCD

SACD

Photo CD

The Pioneer DV-45A will play DVD-RW, if a rewritable DVD format is important to you.

The only minus I can mention about the Pannys is the remote: cheap feel, tiny buttons, uncomfortable shape. I have a Harmony universal remote so I didn't care about that.

If viewing JPEGs from your still camera is important, JVC has some models that do that. But they don't have the superior Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
NJGuy

Since you have the 40XBR800, it can display jpeg images with its memory stick reader. Simply get a universal digital media reader (~$20) and write jpeg images onto a memory stick (cost depends on size) and view them with your tv.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I know this may seem a bit off-topic, but as a very soon-to-be owner of a 40xbr800, I have to ask. Like most of us, we have to convince our wives or girlfriends that we are doing the right thing by buying one of these sets. Well, I bought the significant other a digital camera for XMAS that uses CF cards. Is there a CF-to-SD adapter on the market that I can use for the TV? If so, where can I get it? If not, is there any other possible way to conveniently let my girlfriend take advantage of the SD slot with her CF cards without too big of a hassle? THanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
FYI, I sold my Panasonic DVD-RP91 and built a Home Theater PC (HTPC) with a Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM. I play my DVDs using PowerDVD 4.0 and it beats the Panny in PQ.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Here's a vote for the RCA Scenium DRS7000N Digital Media Recorder. Picked it up at CC for $599. It plays DVD, CD-R, CD-RW, Video CD, MP3 Discs and disks with JPEG files. DVD is progressive scan and looks stunning on an HDTV. Can record up to 40 hours off of composite connection, to its hardrive. Recorder works beautifully but cannot do 1080i only 480p.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by debennett2
I know this may seem a bit off-topic, but as a very soon-to-be owner of a 40xbr800, I have to ask. Like most of us, we have to convince our wives or girlfriends that we are doing the right thing by buying one of these sets. Well, I bought the significant other a digital camera for XMAS that uses CF cards. Is there a CF-to-SD adapter on the market that I can use for the TV? If so, where can I get it? If not, is there any other possible way to conveniently let my girlfriend take advantage of the SD slot with her CF cards without too big of a hassle? THanks in advance.
I believe the built-in reader on the 40XBR800 is for MemoryStick...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJGuy2002
Got my new 40xbr800 this past weekend. Hooked up to standard analog cable, the picture is fair at best. The set has run for about 15 hours and I have not made any adjustments to it. Due to the position of the cable outlet in the wall, 16 ft of standard coaxial cable is required to to bring the end of the coaxial to the back of the set(the tv is about 8 feet from the cable outlet in the wall and there is about 8 feet of extra that could be trimmed off). I think this 16' of coaxial cable is contributing to the relative poor picture on the set. The cable company in my area will not be rolling out digital cable until 8 or 9 more months. Therefore, I am thinking about making the jump to satellite—hopefully they can install a new outlet closer to the tv upon their free installation or otherwise improve the very average picture quality of the set.
Digital cable is a huge improvement over analog, period -- and HD cable infinitely more so. Cannot comment on sat since I have cable.

The 16' of cable is not the issue -- unless it is defective.

My DVD player is a Panasonic RP-56. I find it quite good. I believe it has been superceded by the RP-62 or some such. Unless you have special needs, you should be able to get a good progressive player for around $200.

Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.