AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any help I could get to fix my replay 4500 series unit. Recently, there was a power outage and since then my replay unit will not reboot. The only thing that gives any indication that anything is happening with the unit is that the red light by the power button continuously blinks. No output is seen on the tv (I have dish network). I have tried unplugging for various amounts of time but it still won't boot.

I did not originally own the unit. The unit was bought on ebay. The unit has an upgraded hard drive in it that was installed by the previous owner. I am unsure of the size or type of the new hard drive. I called replay tv to see about having it repaired but they said because it was opened by someone else they will not touch it.

I am needing help to discern if the hard drive needs to be replaced or a new mother board, etc. Also, where are places I could get said items.

Thank you to anyone who could help me! I absolutely love my replay tv unit and it has been hard not having it operational.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Listen to the interior of the recorder when the power cord is plugged in. If you hear the hard drive spin up (high pitch sound other than the fan), the hard drive is being powered as it should. In this case, the most likely problem is hard drive data corruption or the hard drive is defective. You may send me the drive to test and reload the operating system for a small fee. Assuming the drive is still serviceable, I will prep the drive for use in your recorder and send it back to you. Simply reinstall it and the recorder should boot normally. If the hard drive is defective I sell various sizes of replacement drives. If the hard drive does not spin up, the power supply may need to be repaired. Here is a web page I put together showing how to replace the hard drive http://home.comcast.net/~mikemenard/...lacement2.html

www.replaytvparts.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikeboy,

Thank you so much for your help! I'll check the unit per your advice this weekend and get back with you. I enjoyed visiting your website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.