AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a home theater room that will be approx 24x13. I'm torn between two speaker setups, most likely going with an Onkyo 605 receiver unless you guys think it would just be way too weak...

Polk: Front L+R: Rti8

Center: Csi3

Rear L+R: Rti4

Sub: Not sure yet

JBL: Front L+R: L880

Center: LC1

Rear L+R: L810 or L820

Sub: Sub12

Assuming they cost the same, which direction would be the best performer? I'm assuming I could use the JBL Sub12 with the polk's if its a good deal, since there isn't "matching" witrh subs...

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouser2k7 /forum/post/12883485

I'm building a home theater room that will be approx 24x13. I'm torn between two speaker setups, most likely going with an Onkyo 605 receiver unless you guys think it would just be way too weak...

Polk: Front L+R: Rti8

Center: Csi3

Rear L+R: Rti4

Sub: Not sure yet

JBL: Front L+R: L880

Center: LC1

Rear L+R: L810 or L820

Sub: Sub12

Assuming they cost the same, which direction would be the best performer? I'm assuming I could use the JBL Sub12 with the polk's if its a good deal, since there isn't "matching" witrh subs...

clouser2k7

I can't comment on the Polk v. JBL's but I have essentially the same room size and Polk speakers you're considering. I went with the Onkyo 705 over the 605 primarily for its ability to matrix 5.1 sources into 7.1. With that size room, you might want back surrounds some day (I'd recommend prewiring for them at least). The 705 also has a little more power, another HDMI input and THX processing. PS If you're quick RTi8's are on sale at Fry's; I just upgraded to them this weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehall /forum/post/12884559

clouser2k7

I can't comment on the Polk v. JBL's but I have essentially the same room size and Polk speakers you're considering. I went with the Onkyo 705 over the 605 primarily for its ability to matrix 5.1 sources into 7.1. With that size room, you might want back surrounds some day (I'd recommend prewiring for them at least). The 705 also has a little more power, another HDMI input and THX processing. PS If you're quick RTi8's are on sale at Fry's; I just upgraded to them this weekend.

I saw the rti8's at Fry's, which had me wondering it I should consider them over fighting for the JBL's on ebay. On paper, the JBL's seem like a more powerful setup (dual 8" woofers vs 6" in the fronts for example).

How would you define the sound coming form the polk's in a room of that size?

As for the other stuff, I absolutely plan to pre-wire for the additional speakers, I just have a wife-restriction on the number of speakers I can buy short term.

Regarding the receiver, I'm not too concerned about the 7.1 matrixing, though I would want to make sure I won't risk clipping the speakers with the 90w of the 605. I've seen claims that the 50w/pch of an H/K receiver could be as much power as the claimed 90w/pch of the Onkyo, but that seems fishy to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouser2k7 /forum/post/12884884

I saw the rti8's at Fry's, which had me wondering it I should consider them over fighting for the JBL's on ebay. On paper, the JBL's seem like a more powerful setup (dual 8" woofers vs 6" in the fronts for example).

How would you define the sound coming form the polk's in a room of that size?

As for the other stuff, I absolutely plan to pre-wire for the additional speakers, I just have a wife-restriction on the number of speakers I can buy short term.

Regarding the receiver, I'm not too concerned about the 7.1 matrixing, though I would want to make sure I won't risk clipping the speakers with the 90w of the 605. I've seen claims that the 50w/pch of an H/K receiver could be as much power as the claimed 90w/pch of the Onkyo, but that seems fishy to me.

It will be the end of the week (hopefully) before I can answer your question on the RTi8's - just ordered them online Saturday. Current Polk speakers are Monitor S4 fronts (on stands); CS245 center (above screen); FXi5 surrounds; M3 rear surrounds; PSW12 and PSW100 subs. The RTi8's will replace the S4's (which also have a 6.5" driver but a fabric tweeter). The PSW12 is hooked up to LFE line level and the PSW100 is hooked up speaker level to the fronts. The sound is pretty good, I'm hoping to kick it up a notch with the towers.

I understand the WAF-budget issues. As you can see by my mix of vintage Polk and newer Polk, I've been upgrading over time, watching for deals. Next upgrade is the PSW100 to ??. My room is a dedicated theater, 23x11x10, front projection with 120" screen.

Power requirements and ratings get a lot of debate; many are overstated, while H/K is known for being conservative. I'm sure the 605 will do fine. One of the things I liked about the RTi8 (vs even the 10's) is their efficiency: 90db. Something to look for on the JBL's when you're comparing (along with the impedance spec). Another consideration is whether you will use a subwoofer. The load on the amp is a lot less using a powered sub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts