AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement. I am on a time crunch with my electrical being finished by tomorrow and the drywalling starting tomorrow/next day. Note: In the attached floorplan it looks like I am only finishing one side of the basement, but actually both sides of the basement (both rooms or sides of the stairs) will be finished/drywalled.

I am going to use an IR repeater between a projector screen and an A/V equipment room (beneath the stairs). See the attached floorplan. The other schematic drawing shows the A/V room below the stairs and where the speakers will be.

It is my understanding that I need to run cat5e network cable between the projector screen (viewing area) and the equipment room. Is that correct?

Anything else I need to run or pre-wire for? Any other cables that I am going to need to run before drywalling proceeds?

Sorry for the last minute inquiry but would appreciate quick replies.

By the way, I may be interested in this Niles RCA-SM2 repeater which according to my A/V guy, only requires pre-wiring of a network cat5e cable between the viewing area (screen) and the A/V room (is cat5e cable okay or do I need use cat5?)?
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01585

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
You can use pretty much any cable as long as you have two wires. CAT5e is probably the most commonly used. CAT5 would work too. The "e" only matters if you are doing Ethernet networking.

The optimal solution would be to terminate each end with a 3.5mm female mono jack. I had a spare Ethernet port so I just took a short Ethernet patch cable and cut it in half. I then used a female 3.5mm mono jack from RadioShack on each of the cut ends. Plugging the Ethernet end into each end of the Ethernet keystone jack and then a 3.5mm male/male extension cable from the IR base into one end and the 3.5mm IR emitter into the other completed the circuit. I only used two of the eight wires in my CAT5e cable, just made sure to keep the colors matched up.

If you think you need to run an IR emitter then run another CAT5 drop from your equipment area to that location.

IR Base ---> 3.5mm male/male cable ---> 3.5mm female jack ---> CAT5 cable pair ---> 3.5mm female jack ---> IR Emitter (which uses a 3.5mm male plug)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20802929

You can use pretty much any cable as long as you have two wires. CAT5e is probably the most commonly used. CAT5 would work too. The "e" only matters if you are doing Ethernet networking.

The optimal solution would be to terminate each end with a 3.5mm female mono jack. I had a spare Ethernet port so I just took a short Ethernet patch cable and cut it in half. I then used a female 3.5mm mono jack from RadioShack on each of the cut ends. Plugging the Ethernet end into each end of the Ethernet keystone jack and then a 3.5mm male/male extension cable from the IR base into one end and the 3.5mm IR emitter into the other completed the circuit. I only used two of the eight wires in my CAT5e cable, just made sure to keep the colors matched up.

If you think you need to run an IR emitter then run another CAT5 drop from your equipment area to that location.

IR Base ---> 3.5mm male/male cable ---> 3.5mm female jack ---> CAT5 cable pair ---> 3.5mm female jack ---> IR Emitter (which uses a 3.5mm male plug)

What is an IR emitter? How am I going to know if I need one or not? It sounds like I need to run another Cat5e (is cat5E okay?) cable. But where is that IR emitter going to be? What do you mean by "from your equipment area to that location"? What is "that location"?

I am doing a big order on monoprice today and I need to know how many cables to order

Do I just need to order two 25ft cat5e cables for this?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
The IR emitter emits IR. It is what connects to your IR repeater. Go find an IR repeater and you'll probably find that it has various IR emitters that stick onto the device's IR receiver. I just assumed you already had one picked out.

I have a FAQ sticky here that explains that stuff in more detail.

Again, any cable will work just fine. CAT5, CAT5e, CAT3 through CAT8. Just use whatever was used to run the phone lines if you have any extra.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20802988

The IR emitter emits IR. It is what connects to your IR repeater. Go find an IR repeater and you'll probably find that it has various IR emitters that stick onto the device's IR receiver. I just assumed you already had one picked out.

I have a FAQ sticky here that explains that stuff in more detail.

Again, any cable will work just fine. CAT5, CAT5e, CAT3 through CAT8. Just use whatever was used to run the phone lines if you have any extra.

But I am a little confused as to how many cables I need? 1 or 2? You said "run another CAT5 drop" suggesting that I have to run a second cable.

I am thinking of getting the Niles one (that I mention in my original post). But I don't know when (or even if) I am going to order it. Right now, I just need to worry about pre-wiring before the drywall goes up

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
All you need is one CAT5 drop per emitter. A CAT5 cable includes eight wires. An IR emitter only uses two wires, signal and ground. You'll have six unused wires in your CAT5 drop.

If you think that you need another IR emitter somewhere else then go ahead and run another cable to that location from where your repeater will be located.

From the link in your first post the 3 black things in the lower left are IR emitters. On the bottom front of the unit where it says "flasher outputs" is four female 3.5mm jacks for the emitters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/20803110

run an extra cat 5 from your equipment to where you want to point the remote. That's all you need.

Power, ground, signal.

Not sure what you mean by "extra"? It sounds like you mean that I only need to run one cat5e cable between where I want to point the remote and the equipment, and that's it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
As part of a IR network you will have IR receiver(s) and IR emitter(s).

The receivers get the commands from your remote. The emitters will repeat the remotes commands directly to the equipment they are attached to.

The cable you run by the screen should be for your receiver. You will need to run a another cable to your projector's location, unless you are planning to point directly to the projector or relying on the IR bounce from the screen.

For future proofing, I would run an additional 1 or 2 cat5 runs, to each location that you definately need one at. Reason being is that the cat5 is very versatile and can be adapted for other purposes that you may not know about right now.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Now after looking at the specs you'll probably want to run another CAT5 drop to the front of your area where you are likely to point the remote. This would be for your IR receiver.

Personally I'd ditch the IR repeater and get a RF universal remote. That way you don't have to point the remote or deal with the IR receiver. You would still need a CAT5 run to your projector.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Regarding the Niles piece. The "IR Micro Sensor" is the receiver. It needs a cat5/5e run to wherever it is going to be, which should be by your projection screen. The "IR

Main System UNIT" will reside where your AV equipment is and will connect to the other end of the previously mentioned Cat 5/5e cable. Then, you need to run another Cat 5/5e TO the projector, FROM the "IR Main System Unit" ie, your AV equipment area. One of the Micro Flashers gets stuck to the IR reciever on your projector, the opther end plugs in to the IR Main Unit. Cut the provided Micro flasher and extend it using the cat 5/5e cable between your equipment and your projector.

BTW, you need to obviously run an HDMI cable from your equipment area to your projector, or whatever cable will carry the video signal to your projector. You didn't mention this so I thought it best to remind.

If it were me, I would run 1 cat5/5e to a spot near the screen for the IR receiver. I would then run 1 quality HDMI cable plus 3 cat5e to the projector.

Also, I would scrap the whole idea of using an IR repeater system in favor of a quality radio frequency remote control system from Universal Remote Control (URC).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20803174

Now after looking at the specs you'll probably want to run another CAT5 drop to the front of your area where you are likely to point the remote. This would be for your IR receiver.

Personally I'd ditch the IR repeater and get a RF universal remote. That way you don't have to point the remote or deal with the IR receiver. You would still need a CAT5 run to your projector.

Cat5 from equipment room to projector?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain /forum/post/20803226

Cat5 from equipment room to projector?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?t=1318737#los

Nothing more to say than what I've already stated there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 /forum/post/20803180

Also, I would scrap the whole idea of using an IR repeater system in favor of a quality radio frequency remote control system from Universal Remote Control (URC).

I agree.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 /forum/post/20803180

Regarding the Niles piece. The "IR Micro Sensor" is the receiver. It needs a cat5/5e run to wherever it is going to be, which should be by your projection screen. The "IR

Main System UNIT" will reside where your AV equipment is and will connect to the other end of the previously mentioned Cat 5/5e cable. Then, you need to run another Cat 5/5e TO the projector, FROM the "IR Main System Unit" ie, your AV equipment area. One of the Micro Flashers gets stuck to the IR reciever on your projector, the opther end plugs in to the IR Main Unit. Cut the provided Micro flasher and extend it using the cat 5/5e cable between your equipment and your projector.

BTW, you need to obviously run an HDMI cable from your equipment area to your projector, or whatever cable will carry the video signal to your projector. You didn't mention this so I thought it best to remind.

If it were me, I would run 1 cat5/5e to a spot near the screen for the IR receiver. I would then run 1 quality HDMI cable plus 3 cat5e to the projector.

I have smurf tube running between the projector and equipment room to accommodate future HDMI and other cables. But I may want to just bury one cat5e cable outside of the smurf tube.

So, I am going to order 3 cat5e cables for now:

1x cat5e for running between the projector and the equipment room

2x cat5e for running between the screen (viewing area) and the equipment room (1 extra one for future proofing)

Please confirm that I only need 2x cat 5e cables

I can run other cat5e through the smurf tube later on.

I will consider RF later. Right now, just want to future proof this. Don't have time right now to consider whether RF will take care of everything.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
How big is the conduit? Usually its 3/4" or maybe 1". It will maybe accomodate an HDMI if you are lucky and there aren't any tight bends. Getting an HDMI through that tube will be no fun and trying to jam more than that in there will be a chore at best and near impossible at worst.

Run a good HDMI cable to the projector now. Run 2-3 cat5/5e to the projector now. Run the smurf and leave it empty now. Use that smurf for something later, but get what you need in the wall now. Run 1 cat5/5e to the front screen now. You will then be covered for everything.

Also, you didn't mention speaker wire, but you will obviously need three speaker wires to the front of the room for LCR. 2 to the sides for surround and 2 to the back for possible 7 channel. Also, you will need to run at least 1 coax to a spot where your sub woofer will go. I would run at least 2 separate sub woofer drops or even 4, but thats just me.

Do not put up walls without running all the wire you think you will need, even with conduit.

One other thing. It sounds like you may be considering buying premade ethernet cables. I would say don't. Buy bulk cat5, run what you need and when its time for trim out you can have custom length cable without slack, or without being too short.

One other other thing. RF will take care of everything and is a better solution than an IR repeater 100% of the time. (If you get the right equipment)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 /forum/post/20803731

How big is the conduit? Usually its 3/4" or maybe 1". It will maybe accomodate an HDMI if you are lucky and there aren't any tight bends. Getting an HDMI through that tube will be no fun and trying to jam more than that in there will be a chore at best and near impossible at worst.

Run a good HDMI cable to the projector now. Run 2-3 cat5/5e to the projector now. Run the smurf and leave it empty now. Use that smurf for something later, but get what you need in the wall now. Run 1 cat5/5e to the front screen now. You will then be covered for everything.

The smurf tube is 1.5 to 2 inches. Its got more than enough room for at least 2 HDMI cables, and I can rely on an HDMI switch box to route multiple HDMI cables to various devices in my equipment room.

Here's the problem with pre-wiring HDMI cables outside of the smurf tube. I have not decided on a projector, and I am mainly interested in the Benq W6000. Unfortunately, I have a beam that had to be framed around, which would drop the height of the projector if it has to be more than 12 feet from the screen (which is the case with the W6000, but it has vertical lens shift). So because I don't know where I am going to mount projector, I have 2 smurf tubes and 2 outlets and 2 possible locations (12 feet away from the screen and 13-14 feet from the screen).

See my post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...127322&page=51

If I have to bury 2 HDMI cables and end up not using 1, that is an expensive HDMI that may never be used. I have one 35 ft in-wall HDMI cable that was about $40 and I hate to bury it in the ceiling and find that it never gets used.

I have a 50 ft cable that I am returning to Amazon due to change of plan. It was about $50. I will consider possibly running both the 35 and 50 foot cables to the 2 possible locations for the projector but that 50 foot cable is kind of pricy (and not to mention, way too long).

The cat5e cables are fairly cheap so I am going to run 2 cat5e to the projector and 2 to the viewing area.

Edit: I do have a 15' in-wall GE HDMI cable that I got for $8.00. But I don't know what spec it is, but I am guessing it is 1.3a or so. I guess I would not mind burying that, but that would eventually be useless with the shift to 1.4 spec HDMI cables. Not sure if it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20803883

Run the cables, but ditch the IR repeater. With RF you'll still need a cable for your projector.

So the IR repeater that I was looking at runs about $250 or so (I think its $220 right now online). How much does a good RF remote run?

Also, I have no clue what I am going to do about the wii sensor bar and my xbox 360 (if I get kinect for it)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way, I got one 30 ft cable and one 25 foot cable. I am thinking of running one to one side of the screen and running the other to the other side of the projector screen. Any thoughts about optimal location running these cat 5e cables?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
With an RF system you won't need either. With an IR system you just need to put them in a location where you will have line-of-sight between it (the IR receiver) and your remote (sitting area).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.