AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a sound bar for my father. He is not happy with the sound from the speaker on his TV and does not was to go the surround sound route. I showed him what a sound bar was and he is very interested.

My problem is I do not know much about them. He was looking at a Sony model (not sure which one) but I do not know which ones are good or not. So if you can recommend me any that would be great. My price range is $200-$400. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Dom

Three recommendations that should more than adequately fill his needs. All may be found on-line or at select retailers for around $250.

In order of my personal preference:
  1. JVC TH-BA1 - best sound, in my opinion. Cabinet is about 4-1/2" high which limits for some installations. Best Dolby processing of any sound bar that I have heard including the new standard for muting commercials. CBS does an excellent job of this. Don't know if any other networks have deployed it yet. Extremely good and fast bass from the sub-woofer.
  2. Sony CT-150 - very good sound. Very little surround effect. Easiest to place from a size and shape standpoint. Remote is on the sub-woofer, so the sub needs to be in line of sight of the remote or use a remote extender.
  3. Vizio VHT-210 - sound very close to the Sony. Limited connectivity, one digital, one analog input. Vizio may be experiencing a few quality control issues this year.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dom, regarding the JVC TH-BA1, do you have to go from the source or can you use the digital audio out from the TV to the soundbar?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i /forum/post/19461717

Dom, regarding the JVC TH-BA1, do you have to go from the source or can you use the digital audio out from the TV to the soundbar?

It is from a source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts