AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've been trying to get a home theatre built here in Ontario for a while now but with Covid and everything else crazy going on, there has been delay after delay. I have finally had a consultation with a local AV contractor who specializes in HT design and builds. We are going with a 7.2 setup to start with provisions to 4 or 6 atmos speakers later on. Enough on my audio setup, my questions today are focused on the video side of things. I'd normally research the hell out of something before asking what are essentially rookie questions, but my learning curve has to be extremely short as my contractor's carpenter and electrician are scheduled to start the rough-in 3 weeks tomorrow.

I was originally planning to go with an 85" Samsung QLED, but my contractor is suggesting the people in the second row of my theatre setup might not have a great experience (My room is going to be 17x23x.8.5 with two rows of seating, the second on a riser of roughly 11"). My MLP in the centre seat of the front row will be roughly 9' with the second row about about 15' from the screen. My contractor thinks I'd do better with a projector and a screen size between 120-135". I know next to nothing about projectors and screens and I'm hoping you can steer me where to look to find out more. Plus, if you have some input on project models, screen size and colour, I'd love to hear it. My contractor also mentioned something about screen gain - don't have a clue what that is.

More about my room. It is in the basement, and there are two small windows on the wall where the screen will go. I will find a way to darken those windows to minimize ambient light. I will be painting the walls a dark colour like a matte dark gray or black.

My room use will likely be around 50% movies, 30% sports and 20% network or streamed TV. Most of my TV viewing will likely be upstairs on my 65" Sammy. My problem is this. My contractor is really a big fan of JVC projectors and while he also deals in Samsung and Sony (In fact, he is getting me a quote on a new 75" Sammy QLED to replace my current 65"), he doesn't really like their project products. My budget for the projector itself is about $10-11K Canadian or about 6.5-7K $US. My guy is recommending the JVC NX7B but he says the NX5B is also quite good. My question to you is, for a room with dark, non-reflective walls and little to no ambient light in a basement, what do you like and what should I consider? Also, if you had any thoughts on the screen as well, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,533 Posts
Hi there,

I've been trying to get a home theatre built here in Ontario for a while now but with Covid and everything else crazy going on, there has been delay after delay. I have finally had a consultation with a local AV contractor who specializes in HT design and builds. We are going with a 7.2 setup to start with provisions to 4 or 6 atmos speakers later on. Enough on my audio setup, my questions today are focused on the video side of things. I'd normally research the hell out of something before asking what are essentially rookie questions, but my learning curve has to be extremely short as my contractor's carpenter and electrician are scheduled to start the rough-in 3 weeks tomorrow.

I was originally planning to go with an 85" Samsung QLED, but my contractor is suggesting the people in the second row of my theatre setup might not have a great experience (My room is going to be 17x23x.8.5 with two rows of seating, the second on a riser of roughly 11"). My MLP in the centre seat of the front row will be roughly 9' with the second row about about 15' from the screen. My contractor thinks I'd do better with a projector and a screen size between 120-135". I know next to nothing about projectors and screens and I'm hoping you can steer me where to look to find out more. Plus, if you have some input on project models, screen size and colour, I'd love to hear it. My contractor also mentioned something about screen gain - don't have a clue what that is.

More about my room. It is in the basement, and there are two small windows on the wall where the screen will go. I will find a way to darken those windows to minimize ambient light. I will be painting the walls a dark colour like a matte dark gray or black.

My room use will likely be around 50% movies, 30% sports and 20% network or streamed TV. Most of my TV viewing will likely be upstairs on my 65" Sammy. My problem is this. My contractor is really a big fan of JVC projectors and while he also deals in Samsung and Sony (In fact, he is getting me a quote on a new 75" Sammy QLED to replace my current 65"), he doesn't really like their project products. My budget for the projector itself is about $10-11K Canadian or about 6.5-7K $US. My guy is recommending the JVC NX7B but he says the NX5B is also quite good. My question to you is, for a room with dark, non-reflective walls and little to no ambient light in a basement, what do you like and what should I consider? Also, if you had any thoughts on the screen as well, that would be helpful.

Thanks!
A JVC NX5 or 7 and a Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 screen would be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts