AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Long time reader.. fifth time poster. Anyway, I would appreciate some help. I've done some research but could use some expert opinions. Any advice offered will certainly be appreciated.


Here's the background info: I have a PS3, 360, cable box, all hooked up to my Onkyo 7.1 HTiB via HDMI. The only thing I'm missing is a DVD-Audio player. I was told that the DV-980H would be the best choice for me, considering my price range and setup (I have one HDMI port not being used).


So basically.. I just want your opinions. I was told that the 981 is better at handling video... but the 980 has a USB port that you can hook up an external HD to. Then, I just recently found out a 983 exists! This is all so confusing.. please help! I need to decide by the end of the night!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
From a quick and dirty perspective the DV-983H > DV-980H > DV-981HD. I have owned two - the DV-981HD and the DV-980H. The 981 has better audio and the 980 has better upconverted image quality (on my set). None of them are made anymore, so you'll most likely need to buy used. If you need a player primarily for DVD-A you might want to consider a Yamaha DVD-S1800.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846


Brand new and being heavily discounted for clearance. Excellent audio specifications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
I have the 981 and use it only for SACDs. My Pioneer BDP51 handles everything else better than the 981 albeit a little slower. Depending on your PS3 you may already be all set as many of the PS3s handle SACDs. also consider that SACD and DVD-A are very obscure and seemingly diminishing formats; perhaps they just haven't really caught-on.


I have 2 PS3s, one that will handle SACDs and one will not. I use the SACD function a couple of time a year if that.


The PS3 is no slouche so you may want to reconsider getting a dedicated player and wait until you are ready for something like the "83".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies... I wouldn't be adversed to buying a new Yamaha. For some reason I was told by a good friend that the Oppo DV-89* series are the best SACD/DVD-A players. And yes... I currently use my PS3 as a SACD player... but since I don't have the Harmony PS3 adapter I was hoping to get a universal player to do both my SACD and DVD-A playing. I realize they are obscure formats but I'm a huge fan.. I have about 20 SACDs and a couple DVD-As... (soon to be more, I want to get The Doors Perception box set).


Do you think I should go with that Yamaha instead of the older Oppo models?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
The Yamaha would most likely have full warranty unless you bought a refurbed Oppo direct from them. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrostbyte /forum/post/18144369


My only reservation would be the lack of USB extender... seems like the ability to hook up mass storage devices and play audio/video from them would be well worth the extra $100.

...but you can do that with your PS3.


Get the nyko adapter for cheap - it'll give you the control you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 /forum/post/18144663


...but you can do that with your PS3.


Get the nyko adapter for cheap - it'll give you the control you need.

I just read this over at amazon,

Quote:
A great player in many ways, and the other reviews mirror my experience, except in one respect.


This play WILL NOT output 5.1 sound from either SACD's or DVD-A's digitally (via HDMI or Optical).


It will only output Analog 5.1 from SACD's or DVD-A's via the RCA jacks.


Unfortunately, most new AV receivers including Yamaha's do not even feature Analog 5.1 channels inputs..


Very disappointing..

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I wanted DVD-AUDIO over HDMI
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,418 Posts
I've been very satisfied with my 980H for DVD, SACD, and DVD-Audio. I don't use the USB port so I cannot comment on that feature. Since my processor lacks HDMI, the multichannel analog outputs on the 980H were a must have for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
I'd vote for the 983H. I've had it for about 8 months and an pretty amazed at how great it upconverts my dvds. Plus it's great to have a region free player. Can't comment about sound aspects (hooked up via coaxial and it sound just great) but for PQ I love this unit. I've mentioned before that I have been a professional photographer for 34 years and have shot every type of film there is and I think the 983H has THE most film-like look to it's PQ I've ever seen. I only use it for dvds and actually have the BDP-83 for my blu-rays. It is a little more expensive but you can find them pretty reasonably on ebay if you watch. (there is one on there right now with an opening bid of $1.00, if I'm reading it right). anyway, thats my 2 cents.

by the way, here is link to a review from one of the best reviewers who knows what he's talking about when it comes to the 983 with SACD and DVD-A.
http://www.prillaman.net/oppo983_review.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/18149131


I'd vote for the 983H. I've had it for about 8 months and an pretty amazed at how great it upconverts my dvds. Plus it's great to have a region free player. Can't comment about sound aspects (hooked up via coaxial and it sound just great) but for PQ I love this unit. I've mentioned before that I have been a professional photographer for 34 years and have shot every type of film there is and I think the 983H has THE most film-like look to it's PQ I've ever seen. I only use it for dvds and actually have the BDP-83 for my blu-rays. It is a little more expensive but you can find them pretty reasonably on ebay if you watch. (there is one on there right now with an opening bid of $1.00, if I'm reading it right). anyway, thats my 2 cents.

by the way, here is link to a review from one of the best reviewers who knows what he's talking about when it comes to the 983 with SACD and DVD-A.
http://www.prillaman.net/oppo983_review.html

I second the 983-I've had mine for over a year and am very happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 /forum/post/18143387


also consider that SACD and DVD-A are very obscure and seemingly diminishing formats;

SACD diminishing? Not at all. Sure, it became a niche market instead of a mass markt product but at an average 50 new titles per month it has shown no signs of diminishing the last couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,783 Posts
I just bought a 980H because I wanted SACD and DVD-Audio playback with DSD over HDMI...so I think that's the way to go.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top