AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just damaged my hdmi cable and if it cannot be fixed, i'll have to go an alternate route.

HDMI currently runs through walls and ceiling to the PJ.

My "professional" installers did not run any conduit, just drilled throught the beams.

The current hdmi was a heavy gauge hdmi coming out from the AVR.

The weight of the cable must have been too much for the connection.

I was negligent.

I noticed some handshake issues starting about 1-2 months ago.

Then, the other night, while working behind the system, i must have leaned on the hdmi by mistake. Now the boot around the connector is loose, and the connector is flexing.

Can't get a signal to pass.

I am really angry with myself for not taking care of it sooner. I even bought a 28awg pigtail from monoprice. I couldn't even cable tie some stuff together to take the weight off.

So now i'm running the signal via component to my 768p PJ, so it should be fine, but i DO see a difference. The picture is not as clear as the HDMI.

So I have someone coming over to see the hdmi and if it can be repaired.

If not, I'll have to start thinking over my options.

I think in spite of myself, i should rip open my ceiling and install a conduit!

I'm looking into the Cat5 route, since i have one leg of cat5 parallel to the hdmi.

Is Wireless an option? $300 for the Monster item coming in the fall.

Or i could just run a few legs of whatever i want, just cutting and patching the sheet rock as i go. The run would be 40-45ft.

You can see pics in the link under my sig.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Can't you unhook the HDMI from the projector and fasten a new HDMI to it (tape them together)? Then just pull the old HDMI through the wall (from your equipment area). When it exits you'll have a new HDMI run in its place.

Don't take this the wrong way, but in looking at your pics (especially the screen wall pic) it seems that you're not opposed to visible wires, so you could just run a new HDMI along the baseboards and up the back wall and over to the PJ. There's many options for covering it and painting it too so it's not as visible.

When I was building my HT, the same basic thing happened to me (except my HDMI got stuck in the conduit). I Just ran a new HDMI along the baseboard and up the back wall. Of course, my baseboards are black, the back wall is dark green and the PJ is shelf mounted, so the cable is barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stew, thanks for the input.

I will try to pull a second via the 1st.

The installers drilled small(1-1.5")holes in the beams(about 8) that run across the room and then down the front wall. So i think between the wires crammed into many small holes running through those beams, and then a sharp turn to come down that front wall, it will be pretty tough to pull. But that will be the 1st try.

I cannot have any wires running down walls. Along the floor would be temporarily acceptable, but i have a crawl space right under the room. so i could go across to a side wall, and run down into the crawl space, then up behind that "stand". If i do go that route, i'll pull 2hdmi and 2 cat6 cables... while i'm at it. I have a guy that will do all the work, including patching and painting for about 200-300, so it may not hurt that much. But my wife seeing the room getting cut up... she'll hurt me!

BTW, the stand is also temporary. I just cant figure out what to do w/ the room, so for now i have a mess of wires till i finalize placement.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/14223598

Can't you unhook the HDMI from the projector and fasten a new HDMI to it (tape them together)? Then just pull the old HDMI through the wall (from your equipment area). When it exits you'll have a new HDMI run in its place.

I like that idea too, though you may have to finesse the new connector through those holes in the beam. The only alternative would be to put on a new connector, which may be as bad as you think. I'm pretty sure that Comprehensive Cable makes 5 BNC to HDMI or VGA adapers, so all you'd have to do is crimp on 5 BNC barrels to the damaged end. We used to do it all the time in AV installs....easier to pull hi-res cable without the connectors on.

Frank

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the old HDMI was stapled to the beams during install. @sses!

So i'll pay to have new cables installed.

Not too bad.

Now i have 2 50ft hdmi's on order, and thinking i should only go w/ 45ft's.

I could get away w/ 45, but that extra length is always nice to have, but not at the cost of signal degredation.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update.

Had 2 new 50ft monoprice 22awg hdmi's pulled along w/ 2 legs of Cat6.

Cut patched and painted, along w/ some new wall plates.

Installed and looks untouched, all for $550.

Not too bad. Guess i paid for not having it done right the 1st time.

Live'n learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts