AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the ratio and my screen ( polywall) is 104.5 x 58.75 which gives me a 16:9 screen. what I don't understand is how to set up my PJ (Mitsubishi VS 1280) to fit. Here is my problem. If I set up the test pattern to fit the screen size then the dvd image is only about 30 inches high and centered. If I make the picture higher (thicker) then it makes the whole raster size ( not sure that is the correct term for what i am trying to say) larger so if i look at the test pattern it is feet larger then my screen and the PJ menu words are way high and low and if u go to the dvd menu that is not in widescreen the image is huge and off the screen. what am i missing?? how can i increase the movie size and not change the raster size? I set up a 16:9 screen so as not to have black bars on top and bottom or so i thought.

I am running the image thru a dvdo plus v2 but if i take it out of the picture its the same. also, when i look at the info for the memory input settings the H sync (31.5) and V sync (60.5) are both negative. Is this normal. I also can not see any blanking from top or bottom in widescreen. If i watch a 4:3 film I can set it up for the whole screen with no problem. blanking works, whole image fits screen. please help!!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Set your projector's H-width and V- height to match your screen, the test patterns will cover a larger area, this is normal.

I believe test patterns use the whole raster, your image doesn't.

If your screen and wall are on the same focus plane then you could do exact convergence beyond the screen's image area, which would be a good thing. My screen sits 2" out from the wall, and it's 18% gray, so very hard to converge past the screen area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried that but what happens is now if i go into settings the menu words are way high and low. if i put in a dvd that has both widescreen and normal and go to the menu which is not wide nor are the intros then they are projected from the ceiling to the floor until u start a widescreen movie.

is this what all of u deal with or am i missing something ( like a better PJ ). and to make a widescreen fit the screen height i amd maxing out the vert size. my screen is 120 diag and i have the pj lens 130" from the screen as it says in the manual. I have the tubes set for a 120 screen.

Don't know if i did anything wrong here... I know how to reset the settings but the manual states that some setting like line and key are not reset. any ISF guy here in Long Island NY???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do all dvd players have this option? i have a pioneer dvl 909 and i am looking for the manual now. i do appreciate these responses.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the odd thig is that it seemed to be working fine and then not. i was at some point watching widescreen and i am sure that the vert size was not maxed out. in fact now, even with the vert size maxed it still is a little short.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your projector - but if it has the ability to store more than one aspect ratio (different memory locations) then you should set up one memory to a 4:3 aspect that fits in your 16:9 screen (black bars on the left and right).

Then you can switch between the 4:3 aspect and the 16:9 aspect. Many "widescreen" DVD's have 4:3 menus, so switching between aspects comes in very handy if you can.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shawn... u are tlking about the player not the dvd right?

Paul... my PJ does have 30 mem inputs and i seem to have no problem with 4:3 but in 16:9 i can not get the image to fill the screen even if maxed out now. i could before but i am not sure what happened. i just set up all as i had from the start. no dvdo , different dvd player and still have the problem so could i have messed something up? only worked on coverging by remote. did not touch PJ.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shawn...

u must be a genius!!! i got my NT MCSE in 3 weeks, 5 tests in 21 days without failing one and all self studying. not tooting my own horn just want to get through that i am not a complete idiot. one thing we learn in networking is to never overlook the simple things and i should have applied that here. of course my 909 has ratio settings. i modified this unit 2 years ago to play dts and to defeat the copy protection and i know that it stores the settings in memory EXCEPT when the power goes out while the system is on and then it resets its defaults which is letterbox and not widescreen. well when i was doing some wiring i did happen to throw the breaker to my sub panel which feeds my HT room. and to top it off the dvd i was trying to set up with is Bugs Life which for some reason has its condition set up to set the player to letterbox.

Amazing how two little items could throw me into a tailspin. not sure its over yet but things are looking good and I do want to thank u all for your input. love this forum

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You do realize that different movies have different aspect ratios? Also some DVDs are anamorphic (aka "enhanced for 16x9") and others are not.

Depending on what version of A Bug's Life on DVD you have their is an anamorphic version (Collector's Edition) and a non-anamorphic version (Gold Collection). Most widescreen DVDs typically come in two different aspect ratios, 1.85:1 which is very close to 1.78:1 (16:9) and should virtually fill your screen. The other common aspect ratio for widescreen DVDs is 2.35:1, which will still yield black bars at the top and bottom of your 16:9 screen.

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...Ratios16x9.jpg

A Bug's Life is a 2.35:1 widescreen DVD, and should look like this on your 16:9 screen...

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...gslife2.35.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DMan..... thanks for the info and i do appreciate the trouble and time u put into it. I do understand that there are different aspect ratios and I probable put this thread under a misleading header. what i was not sure of is if everybody deals with the same issue of having a non 16:9 image during a dvd menu or PJ setup screen being way over the screen size when the PJ is set for a 16:9 film or did i just miss something.

when u are going to watch a 16:9 film do u have the PJ set for 4:3 until the actual movie starts and then switch over ( only take a sec or 2 on my PJ) or do some PJs automatically detect and make the change?

Thanks again

·
Registered
667 Posts
BillZ,

To be clear, many widescreen DVD's have 4:3 menus.

If you view a 4:3 menu while your PJ is set for a widescreen movie the menu will "spill" off the top and bottom of your 16x9 screen.

You will need to switch to your 4:3 memory setting during menus on these DVD's, then back to widescreen when the movie starts.

"Anamorphic" (enhanced) DVD's complicate this because these DVD's have a widscreen movie "stretched" vertically to fill a 4:3 frame. Your projector can "squeeze" this down to 16x9 allowing you full possible resolution (no scan lines are "wasted" above and below your screen).

Unfortunately some menus even on "anamorphic" DVD's are indeed 4:3, so they will appear squished (short people).

Paul

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
First thing is to make sure that you have your DVD player setup menu set to output to a 16:9 screen. Once you've done that then Paul's post above is right on the money.

You will need two memories in your projector....

Memory #1, will be used for "Anamorphic" Enhanced widescreen DVDs, and also for 4:3 viewing using the switch on the front of your DVDO iScan V2.

Memory #2, will be used for "Non-Anamorphic" widescreen DVDs. This will yield DVD menus above and below your screen, but the movie itself will have it's proper geometry.

The way most people avoid this is to use a HTPC or a video scaler that allows you to keep the projector in the Anamorphic only setting and adjusting the image height and width via the HTPC or scaler.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Right on, DMan. The DVD player must be set to 16:9.

However I might propose adding a 3rd Memory:

#3 - will be used for 4:3 material and menus. Same as #1 but also squeezed horizontally.

This way you can easily switch to 4:3 without getting up to flip a switch :)

Paul

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help guys..... My DVD is now set for Wide again and this is what caused the most confusion on my part. I did not realize that it had defaulted back to letterbox. I will be setting up different memories and I like the idea of 3 as suggested above. Just wondering though if everyone has to do this or are there PJs out there that sense the input and switch automatically?

Another ? if u don't mind. I was messing with the Avia set up DVD last night and realized that now that I am using the DVDO with the 5 BNC connectors that there are no longer settings available for tone and hue. Is this because with these connectors there is never a need to change these settings? both tone and hue were correct according to the Avia disk so I guess I am fine although I also had no setting for sharpness which was also fine.

Thanks again.... I would be lost without this forum

Bill

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stupid ?.... When u are given the choice to buy a widescreen dvd over a full screen dvd by the film company, why doesn't the dvd have all in widescreen like the menu and options? would seem to make sense to me.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.