AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my Samsung LN46B630 delived this week and I was given a z-line designs stand for it but i'm not sure if it will be adequate for my tv. The top measures 42.5" wide and the tv itself is 44" wide. I know it's not designed for a 46" tv like the one i'm buying but do you think it will be study enough? It seems to be but i'm just not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is an amazon line to the tv stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Line-Designs.../dp/B00009L1RL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I did a lot of research on stands, and settled on this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product


I have a 2 year old and 1 year old at home and I had an unusual selection criteria. I wanted the heaviest mofo I could get for a reasonable price. Wall mounting isn't a feasible option in my civil war era house with plaster on lathe walls, and just setting the TV on its base atop a console looked like a tipping a hazard, so I needed one of these console with attached mount contraptions.


I'm still going back and forth with possibly getting a (comparatively heavy) plasma and wanted something that a kid could charge right into with zero risk of it tipping over. Some of the 3-in-1 units on the market weight as little as 70 lbs, or less than a 50" plasma. The one I got weights 165 lbs. Most of the weight on these things comes from the tempered glass - if you want weight, it's important to get the 8mm glass - not the cheaper 5mm glass.


Okay - so maybe my experience isn't all that applicable to your situation - but one piece of advice for all stand buyers is to buy used. I would never buy a used (or open box, refurbished, etc.) TV, but a stand is a stand. Look on craigslist, local pickup offers on eBay, or even retailer open box. After I picked out the stand I wanted, it took me less than 2 weeks checking craiglist before I got the exact stand I wanted (in near perfect condition) for HALF of Best Buy's sale price. Just need the TV to go on it at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirbak /forum/post/16973573


I did a lot of research on stands, and settled on this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product


I have a 2 year old and 1 year old at home and I had an unusual selection criteria. I wanted the heaviest mofo I could get for a reasonable price. Wall mounting isn't a feasible option in my civil war era house with plaster on lathe walls, and just setting the TV on its base atop a console looked like a tipping a hazard, so I needed one of these console with attached mount contraptions.


I'm still going back and forth with possibly getting a (comparatively heavy) plasma and wanted something that a kid could charge right into with zero risk of it tipping over. Some of the 3-in-1 units on the market weight as little as 70 lbs, or less than a 50" plasma. The one I got weights 165 lbs. Most of the weight on these things comes from the tempered glass - if you want weight, it's important to get the 8mm glass - not the cheaper 5mm glass.


Okay - so maybe my experience isn't all that applicable to your situation - but one piece of advice for all stand buyers is to buy used. I would never buy a used (or open box, refurbished, etc.) TV, but a stand is a stand. Look on craigslist, local pickup offers on eBay, or even retailer open box. After I picked out the stand I wanted, it took me less than 2 weeks checking craiglist before I got the exact stand I wanted (in near perfect condition) for HALF of Best Buy's sale price. Just need the TV to go on it at this point.

You definately find some great deals on craigslist. The problem is all my spending money went into upgrading my home theater so there is no money left for a stand. Since the stand in question is made for a heavy tube tv it should be ok for my Samsung shouldnt it? I was sitting on the stand last night and it seems very sturdy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 /forum/post/16971237


I am having my Samsung LN46B630 delived this week and I was given a z-line designs stand for it but i'm not sure if it will be adequate for my tv. The top measures 42.5" wide and the tv itself is 44" wide. I know it's not designed for a 46" tv like the one i'm buying but do you think it will be study enough? It seems to be but i'm just not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is an amazon line to the tv stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Line-Designs.../dp/B00009L1RL

The below is a very nice stand and is on sale right now:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142296669371


I have the larger version for up to 65" screens and it also is strong, well built,

& easy to assemble.


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your TV being too heavy for the stand. I'm looking at the very same model (ln46b630) and I think it's only 40-50 lbs. My needs are a little out of the ordinary - I wanted something that I would be sure both the stand and the TV would be secure if my kids charged into the thing at full ramming speed. For most people, a z-line stand like you have should be plenty sufficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirbak /forum/post/16974015


I wouldn't worry about your TV being too heavy for the stand. I'm looking at the very same model (ln46b630) and I think it's only 40-50 lbs. My needs are a little out of the ordinary - I wanted something that I would be sure both the stand and the TV would be secure if my kids charged into the thing at full ramming speed. For most people, a z-line stand like you have should be plenty sufficient.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too....thanks for all the links guys but as I stated earlier I am out of funds for a stand right now.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top