AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an smallish to average size living room and wanted to buy a speaker set for my pioneer elite vsx 40

I have a $400 to $450 budget only and was wondering what is the best I can do with that budget. I know I wont be getting incredible speakers but should be decent for gaming and sports watching.

I was looking at Amazon and they have the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for $400 which is in my budget but not sure if I could do better for my price range or is that as good as I can do?

What about the Energy Micro 5.1? Is that as good or better or worst then Classic?

Mirage Nanosat 5.1 can also be had at crutchfield for $400 and they told me at CF that the Polk Audio Blackstone™ TL1600 5.1 is better then the first two I mentioned also for $400

Can you guys help me decide

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22206955

I have an smallish to average size living room and wanted to buy a speaker set for my pioneer elite vsx 40

I have a $400 to $450 budget only and was wondering what is the best I can do with that budget. I know I wont be getting incredible speakers but should be decent for gaming and sports watching.

I was looking at Amazon and they have the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for $400 which is in my budget but not sure if I could do better for my price range or is that as good as I can do?

What about the Energy Micro 5.1? Is that as good or better or worst then Classic?

Mirage Nanosat 5.1 can also be had at crutchfield for $400 and they told me at CF that the Polk Audio Blackstone™ TL1600 5.1 is better then the first two I mentioned also for $400

Can you guys help me decide

What size is your room?

IMHO, I would focus your budget on three good speakers now (left, right, and center) then save up for a sub next, then get your surrounds.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207015

What size is your room?

IMHO, I would focus your budget on three good speakers now (left, right, and center) then save up for a sub next, then get your surrounds.

It's a small living room and I am not trying to go little by little. I know I am not getting the best speakers but that is my budget and I prefer to use that budget to get a 5.1 and just need to know which of those would be ideal/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having been around both Polk and Energy for years from a sales and service point of view they both have very good customer service when I dealt with them

a couple of years ago. (Now retired). I always preferred Energy subwoofers, much tighter and more dynamic. Having not heard the new Polk's I cannot comment but as I remember entry level sat's back then the tweeter were very veiled and rolled off. That may have changed now. The Energy's are a true classic and have been around a long time. I am looking at buying their sound bar which uses take 5's and is a two way. Obviously it would be worth your time

to audition these if you can find a dealer and buy locally if they price match for service reasons. All three company's you have mentioned make quality products.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207093

Having been around both Polk and Energy for years from a sales and service point of view they both have very good customer service when I dealt with them

a couple of years ago. (Now retired). I always preferred Energy subwoofers, much tighter and more dynamic. Having not heard the new Polk's I cannot comment but as I remember entry level sat's back then the tweeter were very veiled and rolled off. That may have changed now. The Energy's are a true classic and have been around a long time. I am looking at buying their sound bar which uses take 5's and is a two way. Obviously it would be worth your time

to audition these if you can find a dealer and buy locally if they price match for service reasons. All three company's you have mentioned make quality products.

Do you happen to know if the Energy Micro 5.1 is the same as the Energy Classic?

Which would be better if both the same price?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207023

It's a small living room and I am not trying to go little by little.

A "small" living room still doesn't give specific dimensions, so depending upon what you consider small the Martin Logan MLT-2 system might be something worth considering as well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207144

A "small" living room still doesn't give specific dimensions, so depending upon what you consider small the Martin Logan MLT-2 system might be something worth considering as well.

Is this Martin Logan better then the Take Classic or Micro? Thanx

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207200

Is this Martin Logan better then the Take Classic or Micro? Thanx

I'm not sure there's necessarily a "better" or "worse" in this case, just different. They're both micro-sized speakers, so the characteristics will probably not be too dissimilar.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977  /t/1419667/need-help-regarding-choosing-best-possible-5-1-system-for-my-living-room#post_22207285

What is the thoughts on this sub
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IT70B2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would it be better then the sub that comes with the take classic or micro

Based upon my own experience with Pinnacle -- the PS Sub 225 and Supersonic -- I would say they quote their spec's pretty accurately. In the case of the SubSonix 10-200 they state the -3dB point is 33Hz, which isn't sufficient for HT. Frankly, no $150 sub will be; for that price you're buying a driver, amplifier, cabinetry and the labor to build it. Then there's transportation and profit for the manufacturer and dealer. That pretty much ensures the parts are going to be of dubious quality. There's only so much you can do with that amount of money (and no, it's not worth the $499 they're listing as the MSRP, so don't go by that).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
because you are choosing small speaker package they are easy to return you can auditioning then before keep then and choose the one you like better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts