AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a Samsung 32" HDTV this weekend. By next week I'll have a progressive scan DVD player and in the weeks to come thereafter a Gamecube and Xbox. Now this is my problem...the HDTV only has one component in.

The receiver I'm picking up (Onkyo 595) doesn't have any component in so it doens't help matter. After finding that out I considered getting a component switchbox. They're outrageously expensive though.

I was told by a poster in another forum that a simple Radio Shack AV switchbox will do the trick without any loss in image quality. If that is so I will be amazed and will have saved at least $200. Is this really true?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks again. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
It's really true... of the mechanical "pushbutton" type that is. The kind that use any electrical switching, such as remote control ones, degrade.

But hey, buy one and test for yourself. You can always take it back if it looks different than a direct connection.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
What KIND of Radios Shack switchbox switches 3 sets of inputs at a time?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can use a switchbox that has a video plus left and right audio per input/output. Use the video jacks for the green, right audio (red jack) for red, and left audio (white) for blue

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi joelco,

Key Digital and Audio Authority sell such devices. copperbox is a good source. You may be able to get them directly also from the Key Digital or Audio Authority .

Note that these are a bit more expensive than the RS units for its higher bandwidth.

Thanks,

Errol

·
Registered
395 Posts
I explored this issue recently when I researched A/V receivers. The key here is the bandwidth rating which needs to be greater for HD signals coming from component connections.

Here is a thread that discusses the subject. A search on "switch" and "bandwidth" will give you a few more hits.

BTW, I ended up getting a Denon 4802 A/V receiver; it has the capacity to switch three incoming component signals with the appropriate bandwidth ratings.

If you are considering a separate switch-box, you might want to consider a good programmable remote that can automate all the switching.

--Karl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.