AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this old Magnavox stereo set, the speakers still sound great I just want to connect them to a more modern and compact receiver. There’s no info on them for wattage so I’m pretty lost in what I should buy to replace this dinosaur to not blow my speakers.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,542 Posts
What features do you need? Wattage is the last thing to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding!!
I would say just the basics. I don’t need a huge upgrade. This will mostly be used for listening to music, not a whole entertainment center with multiple devices. I just want to make sure the speakers are powered to their potential. I’ve made it this far using just a typical AUX cable so I’d be fine with anything assuming it has an AUX port lol. If it has extras that’s fine though of course. looking to spend $200-

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Reactions: eriksells916

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
You just need a stereo receiver. I like Yamaha's. There are others of course. Just search for "stereo receiver".

Here's a stereo Yamaha receiver R-S2020 for $149. Plenty of power.
R-S2020BL

It's got three RCA inputs (what I think you're using with your AUX input now) and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I don’t know much about this stuff so I was skeptical buying something that could possibly be overpowered for my old speakers. You made it sound pretty straight forward though so thank you I’ll be looking into that Yamaha receiver! Also sorry if my post is in the wrong section. Never been here before, I just hoped someone in here could point me in the right direction and thankfully they did. Cheers everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
No worries! There is a sub-forum dedicated to receivers and you might get some more responses there. But this is the DIY forum and we can't resist someone who wants to repurpose a pair of speakers :)

I didn't notice your username until now. If you wanted to stick with Magnavox, I did a quick eBay search for Magnavox stereo receiver. There seems to be a lot of 80's - 90's vintage stuff out there that's well within budget. You just need an AUX (or CD) input right? Almost anything will work fine.

Don't worry about being overpowered for your speakers. That's ok. You don't have to use all that power. Just don't turn it up too loud. The speakers will let you know when they're at their limit and start to distort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts